PDA

View Full Version : Time for an FSD. SOL-D or Standyne?

gymcarm
12-10-2004, 05:10
So, I waited until my unit failed. Guess I thought I would have better luck somehow... Now the wife's sub is not running and neither of us are happy.

The question remains...SOL-D or Standyne for the replacement?

rjschoolcraft
12-10-2004, 06:08
Presently, I would recommend a Stanadyne unit on a cooler mounted off the engine.

Too many questions remain for the SOL-D. I should receive the new test unit in the next day or two. The first one failed after just 80 miles.

Hopefully, things will go better this time.

gymcarm
12-10-2004, 06:30
Thanks RJ. That's the way I am thinking also. The Stanadyne unit is $100 cheaper and has a "proven track record" (or proven failure mechanism?). Plus, I have found one in town at a local Stanadyne service facility.

I guess it's time to get dirty now.

Thanks again RonnieJoe and everyone who has given advice on this topic. It really helps a guy make an informed decision.

Jim

gymcarm
12-10-2004, 06:43
To change the topic just a bit...In this post ( http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007387#000007 ) a guy took the guts out of his fuel solenoid and drove the truck home after it quit. Check out the last post in the above topic.

Does this suggest an "emergency fuel mode" that we could use? I envision a switch we could throw that would enable the truck to be driven home if it would not run any other way.

Turbine Doc
12-10-2004, 09:25
Gym
Check out the Heath mount as well, I'm running one so far so good, ran a Stanadyne on a finned cooler it failed no warranty on it, Heath has extended warranty I don't remember period but longer than Stanadyne.

Howie E's post on it in his web page with extended service is was final decision maker for me, mine has been on only 6 mos, since the last finned cooler mounted FSD failed.

BTW for those new to the forum PMD & FSD are same device Pump mounted driver from GM is mounted on the IP, becomes a FSD fuel solenoid driver to some when mounted on a remote cooler plate.

If you go Stanadyne & finned cooler route my personal opinion is mount it out of engine bay, mine under hood mounted on the fender per vendors recommendation FSD failed 3xs, twice I recovered the FSD with a re torque of mounting nuts.

Last time it recovered; but the truck moved exactly 50', I installed my glove box spare and ordered Bill Heath's kit. May have been a iffy FSD all along, but with track record of these things I doubt it.

I tried one cooling method which did give improvement over stock location, trying another method now, I still have the glove box spare just in case the Heath one leaves me stranded also. Remote mount though either way makes it very easy for roadside swap.

eracers999
12-10-2004, 15:29
I am of opinion that if a FSD is mounted under the hood where underhood temps are, the stanadyne unit WILL fail no matter what it is mounted too. The heat sink will act like a heat soak, it cant get cool. A extension harness and cooler are a absolute must have.

It needs ambiant air to be able to run across the cooler and that will keep it cool, so if it cant overheat how can it fail. Ive had mine mounted in the air channel in the bumper for over a year, so far so good. If it fails it wont be because it overheated, it has good air going across it all the time cause of the engine fan.

Mt raytech infared says that it (FSD) runs 2 to 3 degrees hotter that ambiant air. I guess that is the best a person could ask for.

Kent

damork
12-11-2004, 11:18
gymcarm,

I replaced my Stanadyne unit this past summer after about 75,000 miles and a new unit from GM cost $210. This unit was mounted on the FSD cooler that sat on the intake. The new unit is on the cooler now in front of the driver's side battery with JK's harness. I couldn't justify the SOL-D unit based on the miles I got from the last unit, and probably will need a pump before this FSD fails as I have 85,000 miles on the current pump.

gymcarm
12-11-2004, 16:09
Many thanks to everyone for the input and advice. I went with the Stanadyne unit mainly because it was available locally. I mounted it on the pump based on the results of the "FSD Longevity Poll" results. It seems that the FSD lasts longest when it is pump mounted.

I am still finishing up the install and busted a few items removing the intake manifold. I also replaced the wire harness since it came with a new one. I have no idea how long the failed one was in service.

I have done a lot of reading about this device and feel like I had done it a hundred times thanks to all the posts and advice provided here. The membership is money well spent.

tom.mcinerney
12-12-2004, 21:05
When mine dies I intend to go with the aftermarket device.
If Stanadyne had perfect QC and mil spec components {neither} their component CREATES a lot of heat by virtue of the design .
The efficiency gain employing power mosfets is very dramatic.
That said, the failures experienced by Ron and John may be significant. The report of radio noise by Joey may also be. In last year's discussion GMCTD cautioned about the potential engineering difficulties which can be encountered as relate to noise, and false triggering. It is true that the abrupt switching of the mosfets generates pulses which need to be confined and/or damped. Mosfet power electronic controls demand filtering.

Kennedy
12-13-2004, 12:56
For what it's worth, the Stanadyne unit on my 96 was installed at around 98k on the clock. It now has 155k on it and resides in TX. Originally installed on the intake on an FSD cooler, and later relocated to the inner fender, it has performed flawlessly.

I'd like niothing better than to break free from Stanadyne parts, but until the Sol-D is proven, I'lll remain on the fence...

JohnC
12-13-2004, 15:52
Originally posted by gymcarm:
...a guy took the guts out of his fuel solenoid and drove the truck home after it quit. ...
Does this suggest an "emergency fuel mode" that we could use? I envision a switch we could throw that would enable the truck to be driven home if it would not run any other way. The solenoid he gutted was the (emergency) shutoff solenoid. The part known as the "fuel solenoid" controls engine speed and has to cycle once for each injection event. If it fails the engine speed cannot be controlled. No failsafe mode other than to shut the engine down.

RANCHMAN
12-13-2004, 17:30
I have gone thru 2 Stanadyne FSD in 18 months and both were mounted off engine with a cooler mounting behind the front skid plate. This was where I was told to mount it, as per Heath Diesel.

Kennedy
12-14-2004, 05:29
Originally posted by RANCHMAN:
I have gone thru 2 Stanadyne FSD in 18 months and both were mounted off engine with a cooler mounting behind the front skid plate. This was where I was told to mount it, as per Heath Diesel. Were they warranteed?

bill heath
12-14-2004, 11:34
We have been in production with our PMD Isolator systems for 10 years. We offer these with a 7-year, free replacement part warrantee . While we have had a few claimed failures, some of these have, in fact, been misdiagnosed. In any case, as with all our products, we stand firmly behind them. We insist upon the complete satisfaction of our users. Should a user encounter any difficulty with any product we offer; his first call should be to us.

Ranchman's first 'failed' PMD was replaced under warranty by us. While he did not learn this until yesterday, his original unit, as it turned out, worked fine and has been in use on one of our trucks from the time it was returned.
He called yesterday to describe what sounds like a failing PMD. Based on his input, we shipped a warranty replacement to him.

Additionally, Ranchman had mistaken our recommended installation location; it is intended to mount on the forward side of the front skid plate (4x4) and not behind it, but no big deal.

For the record and as it relates to one of the posts, our Max-E-Tork ECMs feature unique and proprietary programming. These are in no way 'copied' programs.

In the interest of maintaining a forum that is a healthy one for all DP members, it is vital that the information being posted on it, be based on fact. Any insinuation that our products are copied or that they are not warranteed represents gross inaccuracies.

Sincerely
Bill Heath

Kennedy
12-14-2004, 17:00
Just asked a simple question. My experience based on conversations with multiple Stanadyne vendors is that Stanadyne will not warranty a PMD in most any case. The party line has been "it worked fine for us" when they test them in a room temperature environment...

eracers999
12-15-2004, 05:18
Stanadyne has been exclusive for a little better than 10 yrs, is'nt it time for the aftermarket to step in here pretty soon , anyones thoughts please.

Kent

rjschoolcraft
12-15-2004, 05:23
Originally posted by bill heath:
We have been in production with our PMD Isolator systems for 10 years. Wow! That goes all the way back to when the DS-4 pumps had been on the market for less than a year!

gmctd
12-15-2004, 06:23
Yep - and you ablsolutely would not believe the number of 6.5L EFI customer trucks sitting in dealerships, awaiting Inj Pump related repairs.

Friend of mine had four IP's in 6 months, that first year - traded it for a K2500 454.

He absolutely could not believe I was installing a 6.5L TD in my truck, PCM and all.......

[ 12-15-2004, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

Marty Lau
12-15-2004, 14:28
Hey Bill;
Thanks for the clarefication of your programing on TM 2.0 and the reflash. It's good to see you give us PMD Issolator owners such long backing of your product! I have had mine on for bit over a year and it works just fine thank you. Bill, also go over to the H2O injecton thread and post a few comments I think we would pick up a few tid bits.
Thanks
Marty

RANCHMAN
12-16-2004, 07:44
Originally posted by kennedy:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RANCHMAN:
I have gone thru 2 Stanadyne FSD in 18 months and both were mounted off engine with a cooler mounting behind the front skid plate. This was where I was told to mount it, as per Heath Diesel. Were they warranteed? </font>[/QUOTE]Yes they were and Bill has assured me that he is going to help me solve this problem. He has always been helpful and easy to contact.

Shuck
12-20-2004, 12:11
Does anyone have a picture of this install? There weren't any pictures of the system on the Heath website. I just ordered the Kennedy system and will report how it works. I plan on mounting it on the inner fender as recommended.

With that large of a heatsink, the heat soak after engine shutdown should be much reduced when compared with a pump mounted unit. I think the biggest killer of the PMD has to be the fact that cooling is directly tied to fuel flow and fuel temperature. Once the fuel flow stops, there is nothing to dissipate the heat and the transistors sit in their own heat without any way to dissipate it. Most silicon starts to fail around 220deg F.

With the Heath unit, I'd be afraid I'd hit in on something or the elements would eventually take their toll. However, the 7 year replacement warranty is hard to beat.

We'll see how it works. Kennedy is overnighting the FSD remote mount kit with new FSD to me in time for my trip to Nebraska on Thursday.

How can I tell which fuel flow resistor my pump is currently using?

rjschoolcraft
12-20-2004, 13:12
You have to fish it out of the FSD connector. It will be marked. It won't hurt anything, though, to use the #9 that Kennedy sends with the kit.

moondoggie
12-21-2004, 07:34
Good Day!

gmctd:

Turbine Doc
12-22-2004, 08:01
Here is something I did while using a finned cooler http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006671#000000

Now it was mounted on fender under hood but as you will see at bottom of thread even there FSD gets very hot. I gave up on finned style maybe too early, IMO if using finned plate style it needs some aux airflow maybe a CPU fan or mounted outside engine bay to keep FSD alive.

So far so good with the Heath cooler, same run that my last finned mount FSD failed on Gautier to Houston no fails this time, but that was late summer early fall 100F days and this was 50-60 F day, but FSD is now bumper mounted, Weather-Pak seals have held up just fine in rain & offroad mud conditions.

[ 12-22-2004, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: tbogemirep ]

Kennedy
12-22-2004, 08:44
As with most of my stuff, there's install pics on my site under Tech Tips.

As for the SOL-D, the latest update is that the pigtail and coupler will be provided by Kennedy Diesel on upcoming production runs. :cool:

Turbine Doc
12-22-2004, 09:48
That is where I mounted mine JK and had 3 fails in that location, also where I took the data for the PTP post recovered twice by nut retorque. Maybe I had a bad FSD from get-go even Heath admits to being bitten by Stanadyne quality from time to time.

I just got tired of fooling with it after last fail, and went Heath route as a different plan of action, I still have my glovebox spare FSD on the finned cooler as a backup; in location recommended by your tech tips in case I get stranded by the Heath setup. So far so good with that setup, it has only been installed since 8-25-04, and finned setup lasted that long; meter is running I will keep the PTP posted with the results of that install as time progresses.

I also as a last resort have a used but good FSD mounted on the IP only had about 200 mi of operation on it after GM warranty swap and then going finned cooler route. I bought the cooler kit and extension right after factory original failed at 37K.

The original cooler mounted one left me stranded once but self recovered (worry over that incident, led to purchase of a glovebox spare for the cooler mounted one which brought me home 3 times). I will say finned cooler mount is an easy road side swap fix about 3 minutes or so to get back up and running. So counting the time the FSD self recovered I actually had 4 fails on the original finned cooler mount, it was always mounted as per tech tip location.

The 3x/4x fail FSD has been donated for dissection to find out what was wrong with it, to find out if transistor cooked, or too much torque by me pulled the contacts off the circuit board, will post results of dissection results when they come in.

I really hope the SOL-D is the fix we have been looking for; this has gone on far too long and has cost too much to live with 3 FSDs bought in 4 years is ridiculous, on top of that it is a safety issue, nothing gives one a warm fuzzy like having a shutdown while towing or moving into the acceleration lane. 7yr warranty is better than Stanadyne et als that sell them, but a small comfort, this problem is so well known GM & Stanadyne should pony up to fixing this not us end users having to do so much R&D or making do with a crappy design.

I was passing e mail with a Hummer 6.5 owner AM General is telling those guys IP is only place for the FSD, and tries to void warranty on cooler mounted FSDs there also.

This problem really SUX

[ 12-22-2004, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: tbogemirep ]

rjschoolcraft
12-22-2004, 10:17
The second SOL-D test unit has done better than the first. It seems to work fine; however, the surge issue that I reported previously is still a problem. Furthermore, there is significant radio interference on the AM band with the SOL-D (I think that someone else posted this as well previously). I will pass this information back to RemarQ in hopes that they will address these two issues. I've also noticed the surge (although very slightly) without cruise engaged. It seems that if one tries to provide very small APP input while coasting down hill or on a flat surface, the PCM seems to "hunt" for the right fuel delivery and can't get it right with the SOL-D installed.

Turbine Doc
12-22-2004, 10:21
Ronnie,
I did some scope work on the Heath unit this weekend, I'm running with about 8' of wire so a 16' run round trip to/from the FSD a lot of ringing was seen on the pins and on the open close signal pulse. Is there any way to see what SOL-D might be doing in that area, I'm thinking twisted shielded pairs on harness wiring might be needed might help with RFI in AM band and maybe reduce hunt.

Shuck
12-25-2004, 09:26
JK: Got my remote mount FSD kit the day after I ordered it. Thanks for the quick order fulfillment. I didn't get the #9 resistor, though - only the #5. I have some questions about that and will call your shop on Monday.

Installed it in about 30 min (most of that time ws taking off the air intake and fishing the connector out from the IP mounted unit).

So far, unit has worked great and FSD and heat sink are only slightly warm to the touch after driving (of course, ambient air temp is about 5 deg right now). So far cooler seems to be doing its job.

My only comment on the setup is that, for $500, I would like the heat sink to come with the proper holes drilled in it for the remote mount on the fender. I think the heat sink is drilled for the holes on the air intake - I would like to see an extra hole so the whole deal is just a plug and play replacement. Kinda frustrating to spend $500 and then still have to mod the thing to make it fit.

Overall, I'm happy with it so far. It got me to Nebraska (from St. Louis).

Ryan