PDA

View Full Version : Coarse thread head Q's

restoguy
07-16-2007, 18:15
How many 6.2 guys are running coarse thread heads? Do you switch them out for fine thread heads when the need replaced? Is there much market for a set of coarse thread heads? I've always owned 6.5's and this is the first I have dealt with the early 6.2 stuff.

I ask these questions because a neighbor bought a one of those 'really affordable' reman 6.2 engines for his 6.5TD pickup. It came with coarse thread heads so I gave him a set of really low mile(~4000) heads I had on a 6.5 with a bad bottom end, along with the turbo. Now we are trying to decide if we should sell them out right or try to get the rebuilder to buy them back.

More Power
07-17-2007, 11:59
Heads with the coarse thread injectors were only produced in the 1982 and part of the 1983 model years. They are now pretty rare.

If we can assume the 6.2 was originally designed primarily for fuel economy, the earliest heads might be the best in that regard. Best by just a little - when compared to later 6.2L heads.

Jim

john8662
07-18-2007, 12:18
82 heads for fuel economy?

Perhaps two reasons...

1. Precup design

2. Large Exhaust valve, where as smaller exhaust valve used on later engines to combat cracking between valves..

Hmm...

J