PDA

View Full Version : Runaway...

wthif
07-12-2007, 17:08
Well sort of...
I stopped driving my truck a few months ago because I was afraid it would leave me on the side of the road. Well I ordered a new engine for my truck and picked it up a couple weeks ago (about 25 miles). Today went to pick up steel (30 miles) to fab new motor mounts for new engine (4BT) on the way home the engine started to runaway. The engine would rev up for about 30 seconds with smoke out tail pipe then die down to normal. I was within three miles of home thought I would try to make until I started having blue smoke come out from under my hood each time it started to runaway. Decided it would be best not to push it and call a tow truck. Shut off engine (and it did) noticed still a considerable amount of smoke coming from under hood; popped the hood noticing it was just residual blow-by from a bad engine and that there had been a enough pressure in the crank case to blow my dip stick out and have it land next to the master cylinder (CDR replaced within 200 miles). Now a good section under my hood is coated with black oil. I think the thing that impressed me the most is that I stopped driving my truck within 55 miles of when I decided it would leave me on the side of the road (it did for twenty minutes).

Now time to pull the engine and start fabing up motor mounts for my 4BT.:D

Once I'm done installing my 4BT I will be selling off all my 6.2 diesel stuff including a red block (not current one in truck) that appears to be in great shape so far (pulled pan). I might do a post-mortem on this (current) engine to see if it is still usable, but if not still a lot of great parts on it.