PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L mnt advice for an '83 Pace Arrow ...

jwt27ta6
07-12-2007, 16:54
that has been sitting for 1yr+. As background, I'm mechanically savy, do most if not all work myself. But, I've never owned a Diesel. I know there are differences on maintenane, even different oil. I just bought a 1983 27ft Pace Arrow with GM 6.2L Diesel. It only has 67K miles on it, but has been sitting for 1-2yrs. Obviously, it does run, but I want to give it a good make-over to have minimum downtime on trip. Any advice on things to check & replace would be much appreciated. Remember, I am mechanical, but don't know Diesels....except that I know they are the way to go & I want to know them in & out. I'm even interested in converting to veggie oil. So, any input would be great. If there are already existing threads I missed, then please point me to them.

Xnks

Jeff

jwt27ta6
07-12-2007, 16:56
Is that any good?

DAtchley
07-13-2007, 14:05
I just bought a 1983 Minnie Winnie.

Now mine is supposed to have a 6.5L Normally Aspirated coupled to a Turbo 400 Tranny.

I only picked this up yesterday and I haven't had a chance to open up the cowling.

I've got a little more experience with the 6.5L Turbo on a '93, and I've played with a '80 Mercedes for a few years.

I too am going to convert to a vegi system.

So far I've found information on boosting horsepower by advancing the timing, and boosting fuel on the Injection Pump. Also on the list is better air intake, and bigger exhaust.

jwt27ta6
07-13-2007, 19:04
Don & others,

Please share how to boosting horsepower by advancing the timing, and boosting fuel on the Injection Pump.

I, too, have read posts on the cranking up the pump. But how, please?

Advancing timing on diesel: How?

Xnks

Jeff

Robyn
07-13-2007, 20:07
First things First

WELCOME TO TDP :D :D :D

Now with that said the minnie should have a 6.2 N/A in it and not a 6.5 but either will work.
Turning up the pump is not hard. There is some good info here in the members section on how to.
Advancing the timing beyond factory is not a good idea.

One of the best things you can do for your winnie is to get some bigger exhaust on it.
Dual 3 inch will really help.
An after market free flowing air filter will help too.

The one thing to keep in mind is "dont get greedy when turning up the horse pressure screw. No more than 1/8th to 1/4 turn or you will just poke out tons of black smoke and run the EGT through the roof.
You might want to think about a Banks Turbo setup for the Winnie as this will really wake it up.
Depending on the miles the timing chain can wear causing the IP timing to fall off some. I fresh chain will fix it quick.
If the miles are up there the IP and the injectors can be a tad soggy too.

Hope this helps

Robyn

jwt27ta6
07-13-2007, 21:04
I've searched the 6.2L forum for the above & like searches & not coming up with anything on the how to for boosting the fuel pump. Sorry, but could someone point me in the right direction?

Also, in good mnt that I should do on a turbo 350 transmission?

Xnks

jeff

DmaxMaverick
07-13-2007, 23:42
......Also, in good mnt that I should do on a turbo 350 transmission?

Xnks

jeff

Should be a TH400 tranny in that coach. Even the meek 6.2 will shred a TH350 under all but light or daily driving conditions, in a light weight vehicle.

jwt27ta6
07-13-2007, 23:47
I hope so......xnks