PDA

View Full Version : All injectors are created equal????

Rob4
07-09-2007, 16:52
I guess the time has come for me to replace the injectors in my1989 truck. I have gather up most of the parts to add a turbo. When I started looking for injectors I got confused in a hurry. First off the price range goes from $15.00 each rebuilt with no core (eBay) to $100.00 each with a required core. Next, I am told by some folks selling injectors to make sure that the injector has a Bosch tip. Some say don,t get a rebuilt but only buy new ones. My questions are what is the difference between a turbo and non turbo injector? And if I will be adding a turbo in the next year or so will a turbo type injector work okay in a NA engine? Any thoughts about New-VS-rebuilt and Bosch-VS-non Bosch. Thanks in advance.

john8662
07-10-2007, 09:55
Most reman injectors consist of new BOSCH nozzles. The injector bodies are then cleaned, springs checked and the injectors are the re-assembled with new shims to get the appropriate pop pressure.

100 per injector is a wee bit high!

I don't see any reason a good set of reman injectors couldn't be had for 350 or so.

Since you're considering a turbo, I vote 6.5TD injectors.

The injectors you have now are shortbody fine thread injectors, that are very similar to the bodies used for 6.5TD injectors, and can be used in the place of, so you have the appropriate "core" already.

Hope this helps.

J

Rob4
07-12-2007, 09:36
Is the main difference between turbo and non turbo injectors the pop pressure? The turbo injectors have a greater pop pressure? If so, how much? Will a NA 6.2 run okay on a set of 6.5 turbo type tnjectors? Thanks

84 Convert
07-17-2007, 22:15
I've run 6.5 injectors in an N/A 6.2 with no ill effects. Actually it seemed to run better for a while. (Truck is now down due to excessive blowby).

I just installed some new Delphi injectors off E-bay that I got for $70 plus shipping in my 3/4T. I'm a cheapskate so I couldn't pass them up. They really cleaned up the smoke and smoothed the idle so I'm happy...for now. I have no idea how long they will live compared to the Bosch stuff, but I'm gonna find out! I coulda spent more than that on a gasser tune-up!!!

Good luck

Gregg

john8662
07-18-2007, 12:14
Is the main difference between turbo and non turbo injectors the pop pressure? The turbo injectors have a greater pop pressure? If so, how much? Will a NA 6.2 run okay on a set of 6.5 turbo type tnjectors? Thanks

The 6.5 turbo injectors have a slightly larger nozzle combined with a higher pop pressure, that is approximatly 200psi higher.

I'm running a set of worn 6.5TD injectors in my n/a 6.2L as part of a MPG experiement, no ill effects have been noticed, except that the injectors were worn (100k miles on em) :rolleyes: