PDA

View Full Version : intercooler

dieseldummy
11-28-2003, 23:13
About an hour ago i finally got my intercooler installed. I trimed the bottom half of my grill and put it there. I turned the inlet side of my turbo down and routed the hoses from undernieth and turned the upper intake around and ran the other hoses up and under the other side. Just running down the road i noticed a significant decrease in boost pressure (2-3lbs) i assume that this will be different when pulling a load. The apperence of this setup isn't too noticible behind my grillgaurd, but definetly sticks out compared to the stock grill if you look a little harder. I know most people go for the between the frame mounting and wanted to let everyone know about my little experiment. If i have time i will take some pics.

jspringator
11-29-2003, 07:53
As I understand it, you should expect a 2-3 PSI drop in boost with an intercooler due to the increased intake path. Turn the boost guage up to compensate. I am interested in the details of your experiment. Which intercooler did you use?

patrick m.
11-29-2003, 08:36
also, as temp has a direct relationship with pressure, if you drop temp, pressure drops as a result.

rustypig
11-29-2003, 10:35
Seems like 1 - 2 is fairly normal. 3 lbs is on the high side IMHO unless you've installed a HUGE intercooler. I'd recommend a water/soap solution spray around all the joints just to ease the mind.

dieseldummy
11-29-2003, 10:47
I cut about 2/3 off of an cooler for a M11 cummins, so it is probably a little to big, but i didn't want to make it too small to begin with, as i can always trim it down. i have made sure that there are no leaks at any of the joints. I have set my waste gate controller as high as it will go. I may have aquired a garret turbo off of a 4020 john deere tractor, which i was thinking of experimenting with. the 4020 is 404 cubic inches which is in the ballpark of the 6.5. What is a good web site for pic. hosting?