PDA

View Full Version : Pyrometer gauge flickers

65-f100
08-30-2005, 18:31
Just installed my pillar and Autometer gauges. They look great but I'm having problems with the pyrometer power wiring. I've tried 3 different 12V source wires. The gauge flickers with electrical loads. If I turn the high beams and my driving/fog lights on - it kills the pyrometer altogether Turn the fog lights off and it reads normal. I also notice fluctuations with turn signals, etc. Anybody have a known good 12V source that won't have the interference problems? Thanks!

Hansh
08-31-2005, 03:57
Check your ground.

rlvelin
08-31-2005, 05:07
Ditto on checking the ground(s). I found an empty spot in fuse block that is only powered when ignition is in the run position.

john8662
08-31-2005, 06:07
I also see a grounding problem here too.

Where did you ground your gauges?

There is a few spots under the dash on some smaller bolts and one larger nut to attach a ground wire on the metal support that supports the dash.

Just for testing, you can run a wire directly from the (-) post on the nearest battery into the cab. Then attach that wire to where you grounded your gauges, see if that resolves the gauge issue. If so, track down the bad ground in the system, or select a more stable grounding location for your gauges.

65-f100
08-31-2005, 09:58
I did use the ground under the dash as well. There is a small bolt with 2 other grounds there already. I will check to make sure I have a good connection there first and then try to run a separate ground. Thanks for the input - I think you may be right since this has happened with more than one power source. The draw from the fog lamps must be destroying the already weak ground conection.

I am tapped into the Auxiliary Power circuit from the fuse box - anybody see a problem with that? I was not sure what all was on that circuit. Thanks for the help guys!

65-f100
08-31-2005, 17:49
Well guys - you were right. It was my ground. I tried several different locations, but eventually had to run a separate ground to the battery. Didn't think it would be that sensitive, but it was. Anyway - it's working great now - no more flickering. Thanks!

DmaxMaverick
08-31-2005, 18:03
You may want to have a look at the battery to body ground. Sounds like you were at its limit. It should be able to handle much more than that.

65-f100
09-01-2005, 04:10
Dmax - are there multiple batt to body grounds?