PDA

View Full Version : Help,need advice, building shortblock today!

robscarab
07-07-2007, 14:50
Hi everyone, I need a fast answer if possible. We are assembling my fresh 93 6.5 mechanical injection shortblock and have come to a standstill. We installed the DSG stud girdle as per instructions with ARP moly lube (80 ft/lbs) and are in need of main bolt torque values and lube requirements or no lube recommended? I have a value of 105 lbs but it doesnt say type of lube or if these are dry values. I am reusing the original main bolts. The rest of the build is going well and is as follows:

93 stock seasoned block
DSG gear drive
.030 Mahle 18:1 pistons
DSG girdle
Stock injection pump
DSG marine injectors
DSG excess air kit
DSG full ehaust system
All gauges
DSG boost controller
DSG cooling upgrade

Its going in my 93 CC Dually 2wd and will be hauling heavy whenever in use. (11000 lb triple axle boat trailer)

Thank you and sorry for any bad grammar...I am speed typing in hopes for an answer to the lube question...

Rob

j_k_auto
07-07-2007, 16:17
I am speed typing in hopes for an answer to the lube question...

Rob

Once I rebuild my motor it will get assembly lube. Till the oil gets where it needs to go you need some lube.

also

Coating the bearings:
Use "assembly lubricant". This is a moly grease that is designed specifically for dry starting a fresh engine. The grease provides lubrication while the bearings wait for their first oil delivery on startup. Personally, I would not use oil, grease, or any other form of lubricant. They will either drain off or be forced out by the pressure in the bearings before the oil has a chance to give'em a bath.

Robyn
07-07-2007, 16:23
Main caps are 111 Lb ft on the inners and 100 on the outers. Rods are 48

Robyn
07-07-2007, 16:24
OOOOPS
Lightly oil the threads. do not flood the threads. even never seaze would be fine. just dont do it dry.

robscarab
07-07-2007, 16:47
You guys(and gal) are awesome! Thanks for the fast response to my vauge question!

It is about the main cap bolts and specifically what lube to use and where. I will use a light oil coating on the threads as per Robyn but I normally use moly lube on the underside of the bolt head and adjust the torque as per ARP's specs for moly lube.(on my BBC buildups) Do you recommend any lube under the bolt head on these or just on the threads? Also are all the bolts to be done the same way, except of course the new outer studs?

robscarab
07-07-2007, 17:00
Also, there is a 30 ft/lb difference in torque recommendations between dry and moly thread lube recommendations on some of the engines I have built! The Nascar engine builder advice service I subscribe to always recommends using some form of lube on main cap bolts/studs. He is not available right now and probably would only be guessing on this diesel engine build.

I really dont want to screw this up, given the rep of these engines to crack bottom ends. Im already scared I blew it by not having my R.A. balanced but time has run out before my holidays. Its first mission will be to haul 10,000 lbs across Canada with 3 little boys and a dog on board! I can see myself on the side of the road with all our crap...because I forgot to weld the oilpump pickup LOL... anyway I really do appreciate the help here!

Rob