PDA

View Full Version : 1996+ Power

More Power
12-09-2004, 12:13
Anyone here installed a performance exhaust system and gauges in a 1996+ 6.5, and haven't decided on which route to take for more power?

MP

diesel65
12-09-2004, 15:06
Hello Jim,
I installed my guages when I bought the Tahoe in 2000, Installed the Amsoil air filter after seeing the demo at the Dayton Rendezvous in October 2001, also retrofitted the 99 steering column into the Tahoe to be able to use the 99 "F" engine computer program and passlock system. In Dec. 2001 I installed the "F" intake manifold and installed JK's exhuast system. Last year I replaced Johns muffler with a Flow master 3 chamber big block muffler to eliminate the resonance.
I also have the fabricated boost fooler from your articles.
The truck runs excellent but I would like to see more power from lets say half throttle to wide open throttle, I am trying to give more throttle but the computer is holding back.

I have been looking recently to possibly change the computer again but I am not sure whose computer to go with, JK and keep the vacuum controlled waste gate or BH and go with the mechanical wastegate control.
I was also thinking about the high flow injectors, I would also like to install the Phazer gear drive but I think it won't give dramatic horsepower gains compared to above items.

Dihrdbowti
12-09-2004, 16:52
Hey MP, I don't think the previous owner took care of the vehicle so I had a lot of reapir work and general maintenance to do. Glow plugs, cooling mods, oil cooler lines, alternator, starter, grounds, and wiper board to name a few. I wanted a good base vehicle before doing any power upgrades. I just added JK's exhaust and Autometer gauges and then just last month I just installed the boost fooler which is working well but I have turned it up a bit just to see what it will do. A lot more power but no IC yet so it's only a winter time tweak. Not sure what else I can do without spending major $$$'s or even if I want to. My main goal is economy.

gvt
12-09-2004, 18:24
I'm headed to JK's next week for an exhaust and I'll be installing the gauges I bought 2 years ago at the same time or shortly thereafter. My More Power budget took a hit last week with an unexpected injection pump failure at 47,000 miles. I'm not sure whats next. Whatcha getin' at?????

TJ
12-09-2004, 18:47
I have a 1998 with a General Engine products engine, intercooler, reprogrammed PCM, exhaust... I want more things to do to it!!!! smile.gif

TJ

Turbine Doc
12-09-2004, 18:57
18:1, splayed mains, phazer, and bigger turbo is next on my wish list; come on Lotto hit my number; power is addictive anything else I can do and not blow her up I'm game for

GMC Hauler
12-10-2004, 10:36
I just finished the 4" exhaust and the gauges. I havent decided on either the Heath computer or the JK, and a few other mods and questions. I recently purchased a travel trailer (7500#), and it definitely needs more power. I have to make these mods before August of next year, before I have to move across country from Washington to Connnecticut to my new boat.

Some things I have on tap is a shift kit, and replace a failing factory trans temp sensor (it throws pending codes).

[ 12-10-2004, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: GMC Hauler ]

DA BIG ONE
12-10-2004, 13:00
Originally posted by diesel65:
Hello Jim,
Last year I replaced Johns muffler with a Flow master 3 chamber big block muffler to eliminate the resonance.
I tried using flowmaster big block racing muffler on high pressure race 2.3 turbocharged gas motors w/o any luck. The muffler caused excessive back pressure, and would get so hot it would melt anything plastic, or rubber (muffler mounts)near it. Flowmaster has not developed mufflers for turbo gas motors for this reason, don't know if they do turbo diesel mufflers though...

I wonder how it works w/your 6.5 td? Any back pressure issues, or do you know, does it get super hot?

diesel65
12-10-2004, 14:10
DBO,
At first I did the resonator fabrication to try to make the exhaust system quieter but it didn't do much for me.

I installed the Flowmaster #53550 and also used their heat shield #51222, the muffler is huge and
I was just able to shoe-horn it into my 2dr Tahoe.

No, I haven't done any back pressure test but I do not have any problem with heat.

I tow my 23' Sunline real well 65-70 mph and can go even faster on a reasonable grade.

The main reason I went with this muffler was to get rid of that bass note that was giving me a headache, I am hearing impaired so I don't know if the turbo whistle is still pronounced.
The interior of the truck is as quiet as the stock system.

So I am extremely happy with it.

david
12-10-2004, 18:00
I have the phazer gears ,timming at -1.80 .
I have the exhause from a early Ford with stright through muffler and no cat,( free ).3.5"
It pulls my 8500 5/er well except very long hills
about 50 mph.
Other wise 80 mph is no problem.
Oh yes i have a 05 gmc crew cab long bed on order ,
maybe before christmas!!!!!! YEA :eek: :eek: :eek:

MikeC
12-10-2004, 18:40
Yes power is addicting. The following are the mods in the best order my brain can recall.

Gauges, JK exhaust, JK boost controller, FSD cooler, Amsoil air filter, bypass filtration, sythetic in all but rear diff, PML extra capacity trans pan and rear diff cover, Phaser gear set, HO water pump with dual stat crossover, Spearco intercooler, JK Hi flow injectors, JK fan clutch with Dmax fan, Heath turbo master boost controller, Heath reprogrammed computer, anything else?? :confused:

Hey, now I know where the Dmax down payment went :eek:

I honestly only need this truck to tow my camper for about another 3-4 years and then we can get a smaller camper since the kids probably won't want to go along any more :(

By the way, this baby just got, at 107K, a new crank balancer, harmonic damper, heads x2, starter and glow plugs.

Mike

norm
12-10-2004, 20:25
Mike,
Off topic, but may I ask about your crank balancer, harmonic damper, and heads? What problems developed that lead to these replacements? Or were they pre-mod precautions?
I have 115K and hope not to be replacing a lot of hard parts for a while.
(maybe new thread good idea if you've got details)
Thanks

MartyB
12-11-2004, 22:30
I've had a banks exhaust since 97, did hiflow injectors after buying from Pennisular deisel at the dayton roundevous. Other than that, still is stock, altho that Heath chip I won in the drawing at Dayton would sure been nice, but the other manual there got it in the end, hopefully it is working for Mike.

If I do anything, it will be thru Bill Heath, aka a new puter, maybe a Spearco inner cooler, but by the time I get the funds, I will prpbably buy a new rig.

I'm like another poster, what are you getting at/asking? Need a ghinea pig for something?

DA BIG ONE
12-12-2004, 01:47
Originally posted by diesel65:
DBO,
At first I did the resonator fabrication to try to make the exhaust system quieter but it didn't do much for me.

I installed the Flowmaster #53550 and also used their heat shield #51222, the muffler is huge and
I was just able to shoe-horn it into my 2dr Tahoe.

No, I haven't done any back pressure test but I do not have any problem with heat.

I tow my 23' Sunline real well 65-70 mph and can go even faster on a reasonable grade.

The main reason I went with this muffler was to get rid of that bass note that was giving me a headache, I am hearing impaired so I don't know if the turbo whistle is still pronounced.
The interior of the truck is as quiet as the stock system.

So I am extremely happy with it. Good to hear it works for you.
Happy Holidays

Billman
12-12-2004, 04:07
I have a 97, installed performance gauges & an exhaust system.

But I have already decided which direction to take to make more power.

Like MartyB said, What are you really asking?

More Power
12-12-2004, 10:38
A vendor has asked that we participate in a product review.... ;)

Need someone with the appropriate 1996+ 6.5, with an exhaust system and gauges... But nothing else in the way of power mods.

Will need a few good pics of the install and beauty shots of the rig, do some performance testing, and string together a few paragraphs. All to help produce a review that'll satisfy you guys.... We'll provide the stuff, but you'll earn it... :D

MP

Spindrift
12-12-2004, 12:51
MP,

I already have a base line with my most recent dyno run. Will be spinnin' the rollers again in January so I'd be able to get a good comparison.

Whatever it is, I want it.

gvt
12-13-2004, 09:45
The suspense is killing me!

More Power
12-15-2004, 14:31
Thanks for all your input!

Spin, you already have the Heath ECM we'll be reviewing, or you would have been a good choice. Others here were close, but we needed a baseline 6.5 with only an exhaust system and gauges installed (for safety's sake and to monitor/record those parameters during the testing phase).

GMC Hauler has agreed to help. In addition, his experience with the Turbo-Master wastegate actuator and recent purchase of a travel trailer will work well for the towing test portion. Thanks Roger!

MP

JoeyD
12-15-2004, 15:50
What is the product?

More Power
12-15-2004, 16:01
Max-E-Tork ECM ('96-newer 6.5) and Turbo-Master combo. smile.gif

Roger also has some unique info regarding use of the TM while keeping the computer happy.

MP

MartyB
12-15-2004, 18:33
Dang it, Bill is only an hour away from me and one mtn pass too! Does he have a second one he needs a demo on? I've got the guages, and pull upwardsof 12k lbs with my rig.

BUZZ
02-15-2005, 16:39
I have the Heath Max e chip and TM, but mine is a 94 with stock exhaust. Gages, exhaust and cooling mods next and maybe an IC last.
Towing a 27' Jayco slide.
Buzz

MTTwister
02-17-2005, 12:36
My '96 has gauges, and 1/2 a$$ exhaust. BD downpipe to a gutted cat, but the rest is still stock. Would like to get 3 1/2 plumbing on back from the cat box.

Home-made boost fooler, but that could be unplugged. Remote FSD on Heath cooler, Synthetics in all but engine, AMSOil Air filter. '97 cooling upgrade cooling it's heals in the garage. Other than that, it's stock ( @41,000 mi btw).

Don't have anything to tow tho' if that's a requirement. And no, I don't really wanna go buy a trailer for the project, in spite of what the wifey might say. smile.gif

I could bust buns on the exhaust, if'n you need someone.

99gmccrew
02-18-2005, 20:10
I'm game if you can use someone with gauges, exhaust, and an intercooler. I've been trying to decide what my next mod is going to be. I pull a 33' 5'er and a boat.

Steve ;)

turbovair
02-19-2005, 06:04
I have a unaltered 1996 C-2500(except cooling system mods) with the original stock exhaust system. I have added EGT and boost gauges.Everything operating the same as the day I bought it.This truck is about as unmodded as you can get.