PDA

View Full Version : transmission?????

Dewey Faircloth
12-09-2004, 11:43
Have 1994 Suburban 6.5.197.000 miles.
driving about 50 mph today and trans mission seemed like it shifted down a couple times.
about 4 miles from home.got to wherer it would not pull its self.I kept shifting to lower gears.
made it home,full of fluid and no bad smell.

Any suggestions?

Have tried search no results.

Thanks.
Dewey

More Power
12-09-2004, 12:01
Did the "service engine soon" light illuminate?

Did the trans operation return to normal once cycling the ignition?

Sounds like it went into limp mode.

MP

Dewey Faircloth
12-09-2004, 13:13
Didn't notice light if light came on.
A little while after it sitting.
Chanked it and move around in yard no problem.
Thanks,
Dewey

Ray Sharpe
12-09-2004, 14:31
my dads '94 1500 4.3 v6 had similar issues. You'd be driving along and it would suddenly shift down into second. When you let off, it would free wheel until you revved the engine up so the revs caught up with the trans. Ran fine if you ran it in 2nd, but would jump around like a rabid fox if you used 3rd or OD. Turned out it was just the speed sensor in the trans. tailstock. Hope this helps. L8R

Dewey Faircloth
12-10-2004, 20:40
Thanks for the help,it must have went in limp mode.what would cause it to go in limp mode.
Have drove it about 150 miles today and it has worked like new.

Thanks,
Dewey

johnny2can
12-11-2004, 05:54
Originally posted by More Power:
Did the "service engine soon" light illuminate?

Did the trans operation return to normal once cycling the ignition?

Sounds like it went into limp mode.

MP My tranny did exactly as above (only once) just a couple weeks ago! SES light came on, it wouldn't shift past 2nd gear, and all was fixed after shutting off ignition more than ~30 sec (tried to clear first with ~5 sec ignition cycle, didn't clear).

Checked fluid at the time and it looked fine.

What are the typical causes? Should I be concerned about imminent failure?

johnny2can
12-13-2004, 18:07
Any thoughts? It has only happened once in 3000 miles, but still...

charliepeterson
12-14-2004, 19:38
Intermittent or soft failures are really hard to fix. Without a scanner hooked up while driving its just a shot in the dark. When it fails though it will set a failure code. This is where you start. Try to follow the harness as far as you can looking for pinched spots or rub marks. Try to pull the codes somehow.