PDA

View Full Version : Code P0216 related to PMD failure

wfyehl
12-09-2004, 09:59
For about the last 2 weeks, my SES light would come on. Every time I would go to get the code(s) read, the light would go off on my way to AutoZone. They say that they cannot read stored codes if the SES light isn't on. Well, I was finally able to find out the code (P0216 - Injection Timing Control Circuit Malfunction).

What does this code mean? Should I purchase a new PMD? I don't seem to have any driveability issues - yet. Should I purchase a spare PMD just in case? We will be traveling up to Michigan for the holidays, and wouldn't want to run into any problems on the drive.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

BTW - I did a search for P0216, and only 3 posts came up. And the code was mentioned in passing, along with other codes. Since I don't have a service manual for my Sub yet, I can't lookup diagnostics for this code.

Thanks,

Bill Yehle

Turbine Doc
12-09-2004, 19:32
Bill if 98 & 96 have same code scheme & I suspect they do as both are OBD II, my manual says that code is a injection timing control circuit problem.

Leaning toward stepper motor problems, all of my PMD problems I never did get any code.

manual says code P0216 is set when a 5 degree delta exists between actual time and desired time, this is a type B code ???

Stepper motor extends to retard injection and retracts to advance time.

caused by poor connection, damaged wire insulation, broke wire,

need to find someone with a 2 way diagnostic tool T2 preferred or Snap on MT2500 will work so you can read actual and desired time.

GM manual has several tests, should be same for yours on PCM disconnect plug C2 middle brown with 24 pins, on harness plugs pins A7 & A8 stepper coil 1, pin A9 & A10 are stepper coil 2 should read 10-60 ohm check for breaks in harness if harness good and resistance is out of range stepper coils are suspect;

if stepper is good manual says check Crank position sensor (CPK) measure resistance between sensor signal and 5v reference signal at sensor pigtail 950-1050 is good, also verify CKP harness also good.

Crank sensor is replaceable for sure, & I think but not 100% stepper motor is replaceable with out pulling IP, if you have warranty left (special IP lettter 12yr 120K Mi IIRC search forum for latest) GM manual does not say replace stepper but replace IP completely & make sure to do timing and TDC offset if crank sensor is replaced according to the manual.

wfyehl
12-10-2004, 04:09
Tim,

I am a little past the extended warranty on the IP. My Sub has 197K miles on it. I was told by the dealership that the IP was replaced around 28K miles and the PMD was replaced around 48K miles. So that means I have almost 170K miles on the IP and 150K miles on the PMD. I hope I'm not driving on borrowed time. Do you have a part number for the stepper motor, just in case it is that? I will attempt to trouble shoot this this weekend and let you know what I find.

Thanks for the informative post.
Bill

JohnC
12-10-2004, 09:00
Originally posted by wfyehl:
that means I have almost 170K miles on the IP and 150K miles on the PMD. I hope I'm not driving on borrowed time. Borrowed is not a strong enough term for it...
;)

Turbine Doc
12-10-2004, 09:28
No I don't I'll do some asking around though plus verify that in fact it is replaceable, do the checks, might be a crank sensor.

jjbouwens
12-11-2004, 06:03
Copied 3 pages of my 1996 service manual dealing with code P0216. I can send this to you if you send me an e-mail because I do not know how to do that via this site, my email is: john.bouwens@tiscalinet.ch .The code does deal with the stepper motor and/or the crankshaft position sensor or even pcm or pump. But also faulty electrical connections can cause a P0216. Good luck.

1996 P32 motorhome

Turbine Doc
12-11-2004, 08:01
Code difference between 96 & 98 a posibility my 98 GM manual is where I got the code description and troubleshooting from; what manual are you using and what does it say that code is? In description of his problem the parts store that scanned his truck listed same code as I'm referencing.

jjbouwens
12-11-2004, 09:30
I use the following manual: P32/P42 Chassis
Motorhome & Commercial Service Manual GMT/96-P3-2. DTC P0216 says Injection Timing Control System.Conditions for setting code is engine speed has not changed more than 56 rpm for 20.8 sec. and (and I am not sure in "addition")"a 5 degree difference(misspelled in manual) between Act. Inj. Timing and Des.Inj.Timing. As said the failure may be caused by the stepper motor or the pcm or crankshaft position sensor or poor connections of wiring in particular at tzhe stepping motor.
------------------
P32 96 US made motorhome.

wfyehl
12-17-2004, 10:53
I finally have time this weekend to troubleshoot this problem. I am also going to change out the glowplugs this weekend. In the past week, the code came back three times (the SES light went out three times, and back on). Each time it came back on, it lasted longer. I have a feeling that it is a bad connector/corroded wire problem.

I had a similar problem with the connector for the fuel pump relay. I had the code P0231 for quite a while until I cleaned of the connector.

Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill