PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/help with 82 6.2

cyberbackpacker
06-28-2007, 19:01
Help the noob :) I am coming here from ifsja.org I am wanting to throw a 6.2 into my J-truck, and need some advice on a setup I am looking at.

I have found a guy with an 82 6.2 with a th400 4x4 tranny with 90k on the clock, he is second owner. Sounds like exactly what I am looking for. I could throw my qt right behind this, and should be good to go, however...

Here is the deal... this was a trail rig running 37's, d60 front/rear, etc. He rolled it and is parting it out. I cannot afford to buy it all, and he needs to keep it as a roller for now.

I can probably get the whole drivetrain/accessories for $700. For this area that is a price I can live with, and I think a good deal for the area.

However I will need to pull it... I a donor you can have next to you (in your yard, etc) is best because of all the little bits, but that is not an option...

So, what route should I take with pulling this? What should I grab? Pull the entire wiring harness? Keep all the accessories on the motor. Do I need to grab anything from the fuel tank? From the dash/cluster area? Pretty much strip the engine bay and dash area?

Also he said there is an oil leak from the psgr rear valve cover-- taking a little under a quart approximately every 500 miles. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks for any and all help, it is appreciated.

-Kevin

john8662
07-10-2007, 11:33
Welcome aboard!

Actually 700 for the whole drivetrain isn't bad at all.

1quart of oil in 500 miles is a lot of oil, but the usage the truck/engine was seeing was severe and long hard miles, not quick miles.

So, fix the valve cover leak.

A compression test would be helpfull before pulling the engine, but that may not be possible.

As for as components to grab.

Get the whole engine wiring harness and the fuel filter off the firewall. The rest of the things can be wired in elsewhere.

The glow plug light would be helpfull in the dash, it pops out of the bezel.

These engines are really pretty simple to wire.

J

ThePIGSmith
07-16-2007, 08:51
Help the noob :) I am coming here from ifsja.org I am wanting to throw a 6.2 into my J-truck, and need some advice on a setup I am looking at.

Welcome Kevin!
I too am member over at the IFSJA (International Full Size Jeep Assoc)
DieselSJ is also a member of both places.

You and I are heading down a similar path.
I have a 1993 6.2L that I am planning to install in my '86 Wagoneer.

Currently, I am on the fence as which tranny to use, 4L80E with a standalone ECM or a 700R4.
I was offered a 700R4 with matching NP208 transfercase, but I am sure the transfercase drop will on the wrong side.

Like you, I have a donor, but I can not keep it for long.
I have yet to pick it up, so I have some time to think about how to attack this thing.
My plan is to pull the donor and harvest everything I can, then call to have the body towed away/scrapped.
I can for a short time, park the donor at the house, but I need to be a good neighbor, or I will be talking the the law about all my junk.

Good Luck on your Swap!

Ebrown
07-16-2007, 21:16
If I was me doing the swap I would do the front and rear main seals, fuel pump and new oil pump while it's between the swap as I'm not sure how much room you'll have once it's installed in your FSJ. It will cost around $200.00 to do these misc repairs.