PDA

View Full Version : Banks turbo placement?

BigGun J
06-27-2007, 20:40
Hi all,
I have a question about the placement of the Banks turbo. I have seen a couple of pictures and it appears the the turbo is mounted off the front of the right exhaust manifold and low? The Diesel Power magazine artical shows the turbo mounted off the top of the right manifold and more center of the engine? I tried calling Bank's today from work but no luck. I also emailed them with the same question and the reply was for a free newsletter? I am working toward fitting a 6.2 into my 85 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60. I recently purchased a J code 83ish motor for a "hopeful" rebuild platform. Feed back or "pictures" would be great! Love the site and have been searching and reading.

Jim

JeepSJ
06-28-2007, 00:19
It depends on which Banks kit you get. The one for the early body style trucks will mount the turbo low off the right front, and the later style setup has the turbo mounted in the center and above the manifold (similar to stock 6.5 location). After pricing the Banks stuff, I found a used stock 6.5 manifold and used it.

Lightyear
06-28-2007, 06:20
In my '88 'Burb, the turbo is at the front of the right side manifold, about level with it. The exhaust outlet runs below the A/C evaporator housing.

john8662
06-28-2007, 14:53
The diff?

Early vs Late.

That's all.

The turbo is mounted near the alternator on the early setup, which fits:

82-87 Pickups
82-91 Suburbans
82-91 2DR SUV (Full-Sized Blazer)
88-91 3500 Pickup (classic body).

The later turbo setup places the turbo in a similar location to that of the 6.5 Factory manifold, near the center of the manifold.

This is a chassis requirement of course.

It fits:

88-93 6.2 and n/a 6.5 Pickups (except some 88-91 3500 series).

The buildup on Diesel Power Mag had I believe an '82 Chassis that they were going to install their yellow engine into. They'll likely find out that it won't fit, well without serious chassis modification, oops.

J

BigGun J
06-28-2007, 20:09
Thanks for the feed back! Just what I was looking for. I guess I will have to wait until I get the motor in to see what restricktion I have? Visually I thought the later model would be a better fit? Lower right area is tight. But, I might have height restrictions?
Does anyone know if the turbo and and intake adapter is taller then the stock air cleaner on the early motor p/u?

Jim

john8662
06-29-2007, 08:46
The intake adapter or "pressure chamber" on top of the intake for the Banks setup sits a little lower than with a factory air cleaner housing on the engine, so you could gain some clearance in this area.

Yep, get the engine sitting (buy maybe not bolted in) to decide on what will clear and what will not, where you have the room.

BigGun J
06-29-2007, 18:30
In one of the 6.2 volums it said that Banks might be fasing out the turbo? I am not going to be in a position to fit the motor until winter. Trying to collect the bolt on, adapter stuff as budget allows. Hopefully they will continue to stock them for a wile. Will try and give them a call next week. There email response is lacking.

Jim

arveetek
06-30-2007, 07:16
This thread (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=27605&highlight=banks) may be of interest to you.

Casey

BigGun J
06-30-2007, 20:36
Thanks Casey,
At first glance I thought the later body style placement might work for my FJ60? I do not have alot of room under the hood. I just need to hide the turbo money until I finish the rebuild and set the motor and see what kind of room I have to work with. So many chores and little time for your own projects. I am sure I will have many more questions as the rebuild process starts.

Thanks all.

Jim