PDA

View Full Version : STRANGE serpentine belt issue

DA BIG ONE
06-27-2007, 10:06
After removing my vac pump I went to the 99" GoodYear serpentine 6 grove belt. Belt is a few months old and I have issues!

When installing belt the tensioner is to the right, after driving ithe tensioner moves more towards center, put on AC and the tensioner moves even further to the left all the way to it's stop putting excessive tension on belt, pullies, & perhaps the bearings.

Tried a 98" belt it will not fit "too short".

Thinking belt stretch, or?

DA BIG ONE
06-29-2007, 11:17
Wow, can't believe a 99" belt could stretch soooooooooooooo much in short order, fixed now.

rjwest
06-29-2007, 13:29
Need different belt,
I tried the Vacuum pump removal, used 94-95 belt , did not work
( incorrect lenght/tension,).

Tried several other belts, varing sizes, also not correct tension,
Installed short belt that required removing tensioner pully ( with lip )
to install belt, ( tough job )Close but not correct....

I gave up and went back to vacuum pump with the original defectave pump as on board spare.. ( pully )...

My understanding is : the tensioner should be alienged with the ref marks
on center pointer, and operate within the operating range marks...

Maybe someone else has solved the belt length problem,
i could't.

twaddle
06-29-2007, 14:04
Well! DA BIG ONE,
What was the problem (faulty belt material????) and how DID ya fix it?
We're dying to know.

Jim

DA BIG ONE
06-30-2007, 07:33
Well! DA BIG ONE,
What was the problem (faulty belt material????) and how DID ya fix it?
We're dying to know.

Jim

Thinking the 99" was too long I played w/98" & 98.75" no luck. Turns out the GoodYear 99" just makes it on by sliding it onto the smooth water pump pully, anyotherway it will not go on, rests at the first of the 3 marks of rightside of tensioner.

The 99" belt I removed was the same size as a new 100" belt, son told me I may have had the belt on longer than I thought, stating I must be confused w/other trucks we have.

OH, & yes I have sometimers more than others..........................

Burning Oil
07-11-2007, 23:11
I had a simular problem when I replaced a belt tentioner and belt also. I got a Gates brand replacment When I first put it on the marks on the tentioner looked good, but I looked again the next day and it was at the end of its travel. I thought the belt had stretched so got another. Same problem happend again. Anyway it turned out the the pulley diameter was smaller on the new tentioner. The dual altenator option used a smaller pulley and that seems to be the only one any of the auto parts stock. I was able to buy the correct pulley. That fixed it and its been fine.
You may need to change the pulley on yours also????