PDA

View Full Version : How to wire power seats?

winemaker
06-26-2007, 23:13
Howdy All. I just got my hands on a pair of nice leather power buckets from a '97 Yukon/Tahoe and I'd like to swap 'em into my 1996 base-model (bench seat). The wrecker had cut the wires a few inches in front of the plug-connector and I'd sure like to know what they're for. There is a black and an orange wire of the same gauge, and another orange of a slightly lighter gauge. I imagine the black is ground. Why 2 different gauge hots? My thought was that perhaps one went from the driver's seat to power the passenger seat. The passenger seat has just one orange and one black.

In summary, does this sound right to anyone:
Run power from (where?) to the driver's seat, large gauge orange. Run the small guage orange over to the passenger's orange. Ground both blacks. Party on.

Where would you pull power from? What size fuse? Can you tell electrical issues intimidate me?
Thanks folks. Brett

daustin
06-27-2007, 06:01
I've added power/heated seats to a '96 Caprice that didn't have them. Thinking that Gm is Gm, the Orange is switched +12v, black of course chassis ground. When i added them, i put the seat power on the factory fuze-box location with a 30A fuse, seat heaters 30A as well. I tapped in on the back of the fuze box off the Orange there. I'd reccomend doing this before installing them: Get a charged battery, put a 20A or 30A fuze inline with the Orange and ground the black. If the wiring isn't right you'll blow the fuze, but the seat motors/switches will still be ok and won't burn up. (Did that before i figured out the heaters on my seats). Good luck.
Don

winemaker
06-27-2007, 07:01
Thanks Don, I'll try that! Brett

DmaxMaverick
06-27-2007, 10:17
The seat power isn't ign switched. Should be always hot.

winemaker
06-27-2007, 10:29
Thanks Dmax

winemaker
06-28-2007, 10:23
I got the seats in last night....holy crap, what a difference! I can't wait to try 'em out for my 5.5 hr drive up country tomorrow night. Thanks again for your input folks. Brett