PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

stepsideD
06-26-2007, 21:22
Just wanted to introduce myself, today I bought an 82 c10 stepside with the 6.2L diesel engine. Probably wouldn't have done it if I hadn't perused this forum first and saw how many of you love this engine and how helpful you are with each other.

Questions: Does anyone have experience with replacing the wood in the bed? How difficult is it to remove the cover on the front of the engine (my gasket is leaking oil)?

Also, the speedometer is not working. Where should I start troubleshooting?

Thanks

Robyn
06-27-2007, 09:09
Hello and a warm Diesel Page welcome to you.

Glad to have you on board.

To check the speedo.
First make sure the cable is in good order and then check the drive unit at the tranny to make sure the plastic drive gear is ok.
If all is good then move on to the cruise control unit it if has one.
If no cruise then move to the speedo itself.

The cruise has a cable the runs to the speedo head as well as the one that runs to the tranny.

If the drive and the cable is good then its most likely the speedo head that has the issue.

Off to the bone yard or ebay. :D

Good luck

Robyn

john8662
06-27-2007, 14:57
The common place for the speedo to quit is the cable to break. It usually breaks at the transmission, where it screws into the side. remove the connection and have a look.

As Robyn mentioned, check the cruise control servo, these cables connect to it as well. This is specific to the '82 6.2's. 83 was electronic.

For the oil leak, it's likely the front main seal. Before replacing this, order up a new harmonic balancer, because you'll be removing this anyways, and it's likely due for replacement.

J

stepsideD
06-28-2007, 12:53
Thanks so much for your replies, I'll get right to work on it!

john8662
06-28-2007, 14:57
And for the wooden bed...

So few truck were built with the 6' step side bed, so you'll get to do some hands on learning there.

I don't know of any members here that have that configuration. I've driven one in my local town (82 black), but they're rare, less common than even the 6' fleetside version (which I have).

J

staszekgra
06-30-2007, 12:12
there are not many of those; very nice configuration, I 've tracked down chevy stepside 1/2 ton 6.2 L in Milwaukee, WI (am from Chicago), guy wants $7500, the truck was painted, has newer motor, done bodywork; I was wondering whether that is overpriced?

Stepside, I saw familiar truck on eBay, guy was from California

stepsideD
06-30-2007, 13:35
i'd been casually looking for a diesel for better mileage and emissions (bio or svo eventually) but i'm in eugene oregon and diesels are scarce. beat up old mercedes still pull a couple grand and vw's are going for 2 -3 thousand over blue book. there was a peugeot that was listed on craigslist for seriously about 3 hours before it went; i thought i'd never find a good rig.

I just happened upon this truck with a for sale sign in the window just a block away from my house while we were walking the dog. $800 bucks, so I drove it and bought it immediately. It has it's problems, but the engine starts easily and consistently and the transmission was replaced by aamco with a rebuilt ford one a few years ago so i'm happy.

I think $7500 maybe reasonable if there's good compression, the body and interior is excellent, and it's a 4x4. the 2x4 (like mine) is worth quite a bit less.

staszekgra
06-30-2007, 14:45
that was a deal! good luck with this one. I still look around.

bleucrew6.2
07-26-2007, 04:54
Parts for your truck's wooden bed can be found at LMC Truck. They have an online catalogue, but I prefer the real thing (good bathroom reading...) and they will mail you one for free!

Bleu

stepsideD
07-26-2007, 10:16
thanks! i may end up getting a whole new box, this one is really banged up.

bleucrew6.2
07-26-2007, 11:19
Stepside,
You may want to check them out anyway. They carry body panels, stock replacement gauges, sensors, exhaust, lighting parts, trim etc, etc.
They aren't real strong on the diesels, but with that exception they have an awful lot of stuff and good prices too.

Bleu

ke5hbd
07-26-2007, 11:49
LMC truck has what you need for our bed. If you have a local cabinet making shop in your area they may be able to help you out on the bed as the wooden slats have a groove on each side that the metal strips set into.

The wood replacement is not bad at all.

As for your speedometer check the lower cable first.

If memory serves myself right I think the speedometer cable just pushes into the gage cluster with some type of clip that can be reached from under the dash.

Theres a panel under the steering column that you can remove and gain better access to the underside of the steering column area without standing on your head.

I have owned five different 81 to 87 C10 series trucks and their easy to work on and find parts for.

Drove an 86 four door 1 ton 6.2L for a few years while working part time for my uncle on his ranch and it was mule.

Hope this helped you out some.

Damon

ThePIGSmith
07-27-2007, 07:08
Parts for your truck's wooden bed can be found at LMC Truck.

With enough $$$, a person could build a NEW bed with parts from LMC.