PDA

View Full Version : Turbo surge

billschall
06-24-2007, 20:18
Well, my FORD wanna-be (Fix or Repair....) is at it again. Now the turbo sounds like it is fluctuating in speed up & down with this cycle repeating every 2-3 seconds. This occurs at any speed under any (or little) acceleration, with or w/o a load. I've searched TDP and tried WD-40 in the WG tube @ idle. The WG shaft is impossible to budge w/ the engine idling.

No, I don't have a boost gage installed as of yet since I'm still fixing.

Anybody have any suggestions? Anybody wanna buy a truck?

j_k_auto
06-24-2007, 22:06
:) sent you a pm.

More Power
06-24-2007, 22:46
Can't post it in the forum?

j_k_auto
06-25-2007, 00:40
I sent him a pm and I will either talk to him on the phone or maybe I can meet with hime to see if I can help him out. We live near each other.
:) That is why I posted sent you a pm..lol

billschall
06-26-2007, 06:20
OK, after talking to a local member(thanks JK_Auto), it was brought to my attention that my usage of the word "surge" was incorrect. So to give you all an update:

- With the K&N air filter installed, I can hear the turbo spin up. The problem I had was that I would hear the turbo spin up, then die down, spin up - die down. Repeatedly, every couple of seconds.

- Per Kennedy's suggestion in a post some time ago, I squirted some WD-40 in both the vacuum line going to the wastegate (WG) and the metal tube on the WG. There were no immediate results, but after a day or so, the problem seems to have resolved - at least for now. Hopefully it'll last until I go w/ a mechanical WG controller (which I wonder if I can get it in chrome?):p