PDA

View Full Version : leaking axle seal

Diesel_D
06-23-2007, 22:02
My 02 dmax with 90k has a leaky rear axle seal. I was just wondering how much of a project it is to replace it. Do i have to open the diff and pull the axle shaft out? Considering doing the job in the backyard or paying a mechanic. How much should a job like that cost?
Thanks, Don

DmaxMaverick
06-23-2007, 22:39
Which seal? Inner hub, or axle flange? Neither one is too difficult. You do not have to mess with the diff. The axle will slide out once the bolts are removed from the flange (part of the hub that sticks out the wheel hole). The hub is removed once the locker and axle nuts are removed (as well as the brake caliper). The torque procedure is very specific, so either get a GM type manual (recent copy, it's changed since 2002), or search this forum.

Diesel_D
06-23-2007, 23:38
Im not sure which one, but its leaking into the emergency brake (drum). I noticed when doing the rear brakes that the emergency brake shoes were wet with gear lube. Now i can smell the gear lube after i park the truck from a long drive. I think i can handle this task, i didnt want to get stuck with my truck apart since its my only ride. Thanks for the reply.

cowboywildbill
07-10-2007, 04:13
It isn't a bad job at all. Make sure you torque everything to specs. There is a value and procedure for the wheel bearing nut and lock also. I think there was a post sometime ago with the proceedures listed.