PDA

View Full Version : leaking at fuel filter heater

abowles
06-15-2007, 05:42
I've got a 89 Sub, with the square type fuel filter. It appears fuel is leaking out from the heater element. I've taken out the element, inspected the O ring, even tried a different one off a spare filter block I have, and it still leaks.

I've played with different tightness of the bleed screw that holds it down, but no luck.

Should I put some sort of sealant on the ring? Thanks

AB

More Power
06-15-2007, 21:39
Are you sure the leak isn't originating at either the drain valve or fuel restriction switch? Those are the most likely leak candidates.

Jim

Ebrown
06-16-2007, 00:41
I would spray some brake cleaner around the vacuum switch and the heating element and do it a few time before you tear into it. My vacuum switch was leaking fuel between the base and the filter what make it hard to see where it was leaking. I found a replacement O ring at the local Tracter Supply. If you going to replace one seal, you might want to replace the all. I would recommend that you use any sealant product on the O-rings.

Here is the seal size

vacuum switch o-ring size 1 1/4 X 1 1/8 X 1/16

Yukon6.2
06-16-2007, 11:55
Hi
I had a soft "frost type" plug on the bottom of my square filter base weeping.It looked fine from the outside,but it was coroded thru from the inside.I cleaned it out,and taped it for a plug.Cured the filter leak i had.
Good luck

abowles
06-22-2007, 15:01
Well it may be the drain valve that is leaking, its sort of hard to tell. The other day I saw it was blowing air bubbles up from the area between the drain valve and the heater element.

What can I use as a sealant. I tried Pematecs Aircraft sealant, it lasted about a day.

I'll look into the other suggestions, and a new set of rings. Thanks

Low_Bridge
10-14-2007, 16:06
I have a slight weep at the top air bleed - of the filter housing on the 84 van- real easy to get to cause the engine opened up from the rear- O ring usually the culprit there? Under the black petcock?

I have a Day trip planned Tuesday & I'd rather not get tripped up-

Why do I like the system on my 82 better?

Low-

Robyn
10-15-2007, 07:28
The fuel filters on these rigs and even the newer style that mounts on the engine have all had issues of one sort or another.

If this were my rig I would remove the stock filter and replace it with a nice 35 GPH rated Racor.

Better filtration and it has a water bowl on the bottom so you can see what your getting.

The stock units can be repaired. Follow the info from previous posts as it is right on the mark.
Wash it off and then seach for the leaks.

If it comes down to more costly repairs than an Oring the Racor may be a good move.

Good luck

Robyn

Low_Bridge
10-15-2007, 07:46
I don't need a heater do I? I'm in Florida-

On the van I can't see her so it's going to need to be routine time miles maintence- bleed / drain

So please help me from being foolish & why not use a 2 stage set up like'n my 82 or a canister filter set up with a drain?

Stay at 35 gph? Right?

:confused:

Low_Bridge
11-12-2007, 06:01
What if anything should I keep in mind before I upgrade this filter setup - So it will be compatable with Veggie?