PDA

View Full Version : WasteGate

Cam2006
06-13-2007, 14:53
Hey everyone!

I have a question that maybe some of you folks can answer. My wastegate on my '95 TD is acting up. This has happened about 4 times in that past few weeks. All hot days (Above 85 degrees F).

The Problem is that sometimes going down the road I noticed loss of power and no boost and no turbo whistling. Today it has done this twice while taking it home (4 miles). The first time I pulled over and noticed my wastegate was still over half way open sitting there at idle. I also noticed that I could move the wastegate to open and close while it sat their at idle. It took about two of three tries to get it to stay closed so I could drive it with the turbo whistling and building boost.

The second time I pulled over I couldn't get it closed so I left to make it back (about a mile) and hit about 20 or 25 mph and the turbo spooled and it made some boost.

When I got home I let the truck sit for about 3 or 4 hours and I went back out. Checked the vaccuum lines to the acuator and for what I can see all the lines are intact and are alright. I checked the codes and there were none saved. After checking that I went and started the truck and let it idle. I checked to see if I can open the wastegate and I couldn't (which I think is good, right?). Then I drove it around the block and turbo spooled and boost was made.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank You,
~Mike~

gmctd
06-13-2007, 16:46
When you need info on aything 6.5, do a search here on the subject for quick info, no muss, no fuss, no waiting..............

Vacuum at idle and 2000rpm -

26"hg at vac pump

15"hg at wg actuator

moondoggie
06-14-2007, 08:17
Good Day!

If you can do it, you might want to tee into the line between the vacuum pump & Wastegate Actuator Solenoid & string a hose into the cab, where you'll have your vacuum gauge. As gmctd says, it should have good vacuum in all driving conditions.

If that's OK, then tee betweeen the Wastegate Actuator Solenoid & the Wastegate Actuator. At idle, you'll see some fraction of what you saw at the vacuum pump (I thought it was ~ 75%), but once you start driving, this will change.

The Wastegate Actuator Solenoid is a common failure item. If the vacuum signal from it doesn't look right, I'd try replacing it; if the vacuum signal is OK, there's something wrong with the Wastegate Actuator or the wastegate itself.

Let us know...

Blessings!

Cam2006
06-14-2007, 11:10
It doesn't matter at the moment anyways... My truck is not drivable right now since I was in an accident yesterday. Have to wait to see what the insurance guy says.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/mkimous/Truck/6-13-07002.jpg

gmctd
06-14-2007, 15:25
Broke axle, eh? That ain't no hill fer a stepper - slip a full floater with disk brakes from a late 2500 with under there, upgrade the front disks to 8-bolt, then address the vacuum\wg system for a much improved ride