PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 - Common Problems Thread - NEWBIE

SSEIYah
06-10-2007, 12:43
I just bought a 1995 6.5 today with 240,000 miles. It runs ok, has a power steering noise but was dirt cheap. I have only owned early 80s chevy trucks but never a newer one.

I'm wondering what the common problems are not only with the 6.5 drivetrain but with the 95 body itself.

What maintainance needs to be done on a diesel that would not be done on a gas truck?

One last question. it says 2500 on the side but only has 6 lug wheels...whats the story on that.

DmaxMaverick
06-10-2007, 13:18
Welcome to the Forums!

6 lugs = Light Duty 2500 (2500LD). It will have a GVWR of 7200#, and a semi-floating rear axle. Easier on maintenance, but less durable than the full-floater. Don't overload it and keep up on lube changes, and it will be fine.

As far as a list of possible issues, I could do that, but won't. Diesel maintenance is not much, if any, more intense than a gasser. Normal maintenance is equally important on both, with the Diesel adding a more unique/sensitive fuel system. Keep the fuel quality up, with additives and reputible fuel stations, and change the filter(s) as needed, and you should have no problems with it. Most issues you will deal with will be reactive. Looking for problems is not always the best practice. Look hard enough, and you will find a problem, whether it actually exists or not. You can spend a lot of time (and grief) chasing wild geese. At this time, it's best to read up on the articles and search the forums for specific issues. Most of the common issues will be "stickys" at the top of the respective forums. With the exception of electronics, most issues common to the 6.5L are also common to the 6.2L, so read both forums. Once you've read up on all that, you should have enough info to compile a list of questions that weren't previously covered. Keep in mind that most folks come here because they are already having issues and need help. The majority of issues you read about are not typical, although it may seem so due to the numbers you see here. Many 6.5's (including my '95) are turn-key, and require only minimal routine maintenance, which is the most important route to a successful experience. If you are doing your own maintenance, you found the best source for all the info you need.

You may also consider a TDP subscription. With that, you will have access to many original articles not available anywhere else. You will find that some of the advice you receive may include a link to a page you can't access with just a forum account. The subscription grants access to everything available to all subscribers. If interested, CLICK HERE (https://thedieselpage.com/form.htm).

Also, if you need the GM service and tech manuals, check out www.alldatadiy.com . I use it, and it is very good for the 1995. It contains the same manual, including all bulletins and campaigns, used by GM technicians, and is the same as the Helms manual. It is especially useful if you are responsible for maintaining several vehicles (cheaper by the dozen, so to speak). Stay away from Haynes and Chilton's manuals. They usually spawn more questions than answers.

Drive it, take care of it, and don't ask it to do more than it's capable of, and it will return the favor. Sometimes it's "tough love", but it's still love. These things will grow on you. If they don't, it wasn't meant to be.

a5150nut
06-10-2007, 13:47
One last question. it says 2500 on the side but only has 6 lug wheels...whats the story on that.

Might have a look at the door tag drivers side for GVW. My guess is 7200 or someone has changed stickers on fenders. What does the title say on it?

Welcome to TDP

trbankii
06-10-2007, 14:19
Another suggestion for someone new to the 6.5 diesel is to get the Diesel Page books on the subject - these two volumes contain all the 6.5 specific articles that have appeared over the years on the website - a real wealth of information.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/65book.htm
http://www.thedieselpage.com/65bookii.htm

Good luck and welcome!