PDA

View Full Version : Charging Problem

redbecketts
06-08-2007, 09:12
Hi Guys,
Greetings from the uk !!, my 6.2 has suddenly stopped charging ! i only get battery voltage when engine is running,i took the generator off and had it checked at a local shop they reported that it was ok, and i should check to see if its being energised via the brown wire thats connected to terminal 1 of the generator. Can anybody tell me where that brown wire comes from so that i can check it? i don't seem to be able to trace it on my old wiring diagrams.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Regards
Paul (redbecketts)

moondoggie
06-08-2007, 09:48
Good Day!

You might want to click on "Quick Links", then "Edit Signature", & let us know what year, model, equipment etc. truck you are talking about. It's handy, because you don't have to remember to do it, it shows up at the bottom of all your posts automatically. ;) I'd have to know more about your truck to help out.

Blessings!

redbecketts
06-09-2007, 05:47
Hi moondoggie. Sorry about that! its a 1985 Chevrolet K5 blazer with a 6.2 Lt Diesel engine, Silverado Option, Vin No 1G8EK18L1FF102816.

Regards
redbecketts

moondoggie
06-11-2007, 12:24
Good Day!

I was hoping that further info would get you more help. Unfortunately, I know little about alternators, nothing about the brown wire. I vaguely remember hooking up a GM alternator on an Allis Chalmers WD-45 tractor, & you had to have either a light bulb or resistor of the correct size, wired to the alternator where the dash charge lamp is, or the alternator would never have output. Maybe the dash light has something to do with excitation of the alternator or such, I don't know. Maybe this brown wire is in that circuit????? Sorry I can't help much... :confused:

Blessings!
(signature in previous post)

redbecketts
06-11-2007, 15:16
Good Day. To get an alternator to start generating you have to apply a load to terminal 1 of the alternator ,on a petrol car this usualy done via a lamp in the ignition circuit ,sometimes a resistance wire is used. Because i don't have a full circuit drawing of my Blazers electrics i was hoping someone might know how it is done in my case, it would save me the trouble of ripping my wiring harness apart.
If anyone knows please let me know.
Regards
redbecketts

DmaxMaverick
06-11-2007, 17:50
You'll find complete 1985 diagrams at the "truck stuff pics" link in my sig. Click on diagrams.