PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Diesel Donor Questions

ThePIGSmith
06-04-2007, 19:20
I am looking at a 1983 Chevy Suburban powered by 6.2 Diesel engine for a donor for a Diesel Swap in my 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer.
I was told it run and drive fine, but the body is very bad with rust.
It is 2WD and its odometer reads 224,791 miles.

I have a few questions.

• How many miles should a early model 6.2 expect to live?
Is 224K miles too much?

• Would this year Suburban have a TH400 or 700R4?
If is has a TH400, I will use it with the intentions to replace it with a Diesel prepped 700R4.

• After I pull the motor, what tasks are recommended that I do, before it goes back in my Jeep?
Timing chain?
Rear Main Seal?
Valve job?
Check for cracks? If so, how?

• While the motor is out, what performance mods should I consider?
Military single plane intake?
Injector pump mods?
Larger injectors?
Hotter Cam?
What can I do now to prepare for a Banks Turbo at a later point in time.

• Is a '83 model 6.2 a 'C' motor and not a 'J'?

• Is a '83 worth messing with or should hold out for a later model engine or take my chances on a military surplus motor?

• Last question, if this rust bomb runs and drives as well as I am told, how much is it worth?
The asking price is $1000

This a swap several folks have completed, but I am on a budget and so I need to do things phases.
This why I am seeking out a donor to start this project.

Maxxman23
06-04-2007, 20:18
Wow $1000 dollars for a 83' "rust Bomb" sounds way high. I Paid $800 for my 84' with only 127,000 and it needed only minor body work and a few regular maintanance mechanicals. In My opinon $1000 is way too high.

ordiesel
06-04-2007, 23:48
Hi,

I just bought an '83 GMC Burb C2500 with a Banks Sidewinder (a good deal for $650). (Mine has between 81K and 181K miles...can't really tell with the older trip meters.)

I am still trying to figure things out, but I'll try to provide a few answers:

First, for the 224K mile engine I think $999.00 is a lot. Based on the shape of the body, the engine may not have been maintained that well either. Especially if its this suburban (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190118566598):
:D According to the VIN it is a '83 3/4 ton with a "J" code engine

ThePIGSmith
06-05-2007, 05:09
Thanks fellows for the reply.
I think I will pass on this one and wait for something better and cheaper.

In the meanwhile, I made a Wanted posting in the classified forum.

neo
06-07-2007, 19:24
PigSmith,
I am also doing the same conversion. I originally bought an 89 V2500 from a yard and got it running and now don't have the heart to kill it and take out the engine/tranny. THen, just recently, I bought an 83 Van ($100) which ran fine, only to pull the engine and send it out for machine work and find a crack on the 4th main. Scrapped the engine cause it is not worth putting machine work cash into in the long run. Gotta a mil-surplus one I pick up on Monday. My last try, if that don't pan out I am gonna do a OM356 Mecedes engine (or dy trying) Be careful case you don't know what the lower end looks like till you magnaflux it.

gophergunner
06-07-2007, 19:38
i bought my 89 blazer, described below, and i'm thinkin i paid too much now.

transmission was completely screwed, the thing looks like a beater, and the axles were very questionable but thats why i swapped them out

however the guy i bought it from does make his living as a mechanic for the 6.2 and 6.5 engines. the thing sat in the bush for a year and started up as quick as we got the battery in it. i also got with it a turbo from a 6.5 and all the things necessary to make it work, along with a serpentine belt system, with everything minus alternator and belt.

my total was $5000.......but would have been $3500 for only the blazer without the turbo and serpentine equipment. keep in mind that this was in canadian dollars too, but it seems that its still pricy compared to some others....