PDA

View Full Version : My turbo fix

hayhauler69
06-02-2007, 17:41
Just in case anyone has been having turbo problems, here's what I ended up doing.
Ran vacuum gauge at the pump, 45+ inhg, so that was more than good.
Ran the gauge off of the line from solenoid to actuator, zero inhg.
Well, that told me I needed a new solenoid. Went to the Chevy dealer, bought it and installed in.
Still had problem. Turbo would just stop working for no apparent reason.
So I started just wiggling wires, like the ones going into solenoid with the vacuum gauge hooked to line to actuator and lo and behold I got vacuum whenever the wires were moved!! Yep, a severed wire was the problem.
Removed the connector and wire from connector cut wire at broken area and reinstalled it all and the turbo whines like a baby now.
Trucks a 1995 GMCK2500 4x4 with a 6.5.
Runs like a champ again.
Buzz:) :) :) :cool:

Robyn
06-03-2007, 07:58
Its always nice when a plan comes together :D

Robyn

moondoggie
06-04-2007, 11:34
Good Day!

"...45+ inhg..." I thought a perfect vacuum was ~ 30" Hg. (Y'all can thank me for once again showing my ignorance by asking this question - I oughta get paid for this... :rolleyes: )

BTW, congrats on the fix - it's nice to read good news like yours.

Thanks & Blessings!

hayhauler69
06-05-2007, 07:24
I think maybe the gauge is off a tad.
It's brand new, but was a metrologist for several years and new doesn't hold much credence anymore when everything comes from China.
Buzz

Fuel Pump
06-05-2007, 12:07
Vacuum is the measurement below air pressure. As high school science teaches us there is approximately 15 psi of air around us all the time. Therefore when measuring Vacuum you are really measuring the amount of air pressure removed from a volume. Since there is only about 30" Hg of pressure around us at sea level an absolute vacuum would be about 30" Hg. There would not be any way to get to 45" Hg.

I hope this clears the air. Ha Ha :D

Brian