PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Install? Please Help

Maxxman23
06-01-2007, 18:08
I have an 84' Suburban with the 6.2 and I am trying to change the mechanical fuel pump out. I got the old one off without a hitch, but the push rod that pumps the little arm on the pump it self fell down and I can not get it back up for the life of me. I've been told you are supossed to be able to push that back up with your fingers, but even with a needle nose pliers I cannot get it back up. I have to have the truck out of the service bay where I work by monday. Does anybody know how to get a stuck arm back up?
Thanks alot.
-Adam

HammerWerf
06-01-2007, 18:39
Adam,

There is also a coverplate that the fuel pump sits on, held in place by 2 smaller bolts. I think they are 3/8 heads or 10mm. Can't remember. Remove this plate and the rod will slide out. Unless something else is jaming it up there.

When I have to replace the pump on my 83 & 84, I use a dolip of axle grease to hold the rod up in the hole. Works well, and the grease is dissolved by the oil and comes out in the next oilchange.

I use blue RTV to seal the plate back in place.

Others have their own tricks.

HammerWerf

redbird2
06-01-2007, 21:04
hammerwerf
hit exactly on the head thats how I change them all the time it most likely not stuck just so slick you can't grip it and very hard to pliers will not grab it either.
good luck go back in the morning and it will be a 15 min job

good luck

DmaxMaverick
06-01-2007, 22:07
Yep! Axle grease. Pull the cover, grease it, push it, replace the cover (RTV or gasket, I prefer gasket), install pump and be done. The LP is a 15 minute job unless you have a banks turbo, then it's 30 minutes.

Maxxman23
06-02-2007, 16:21
Thank's guys. I'll go run down and pull that cover off and do what you said. I'll let you know how it goes. thanks again.
-Adam

Maxxman23
06-03-2007, 15:34
Yep, Just like you guys said. The grease did the trick just fine, thanks for all the help. Runs like a champ and doesn't leak any more. :D thanks again,
-Adam

NH2112
06-03-2007, 19:32
It's always easier if you do it on a cold engine, too. Find the stickiest, snottiest grease you can - I use Rubachem Crimson Slide but Texas Refinery Corp #880 C&C grease is good too. Any synthetic grease should suffice.