PDA

View Full Version : Wipers Won't Turn Off

jbplock
06-01-2007, 03:26
I drove home last night in light rain with the wipers on intermittent then parked in the driveway with the engine idling to unload. After unloading I went to back into the garage and noticed the wipers were on continuously .. :confused: Clicked though all settings and the wipers would not turn off; however, they would go into high speed at the max setting

Mitchagain
06-01-2007, 10:47
If it does it again, pull the fuse and re-install. If it continues, its a stuck contact in the on/off switch. If it doesn't it may be a relay that is about to go bad(er).

jbplock
06-02-2007, 13:36
Thanks Mitch ... I pulled the fuse and the wipers shut off ...However, turns out there are no serviceable relays for the wipers, just the washer motor. Swtich is OK..

I tracked the problem to the Wiper Control Module, which is part of the wiper motor assembly. I also searched around the net and found that this seems to be a fairly common GM wiper problem and failure mode. The Helms diagram of the module shows two relays. I also found a picture of the module on another forum and the relays are mounted to a PC board.

SoTxPollock
06-12-2007, 11:16
I had that happen on an older chevy truck, it was the PC board on the wiper motor. Took all of 30 seconds to change out.
I would have thought the newer models would have eleminated the heat up problem which was the problem with the too thin cercuit board from the factory. I never looked at my 02 to see if its the same design or not?

jbplock
06-12-2007, 16:05
SoTx,

Yes, same problem ... Wiper Control module was bad. I believe the newer trucks are different and a little more work to change but not bad .. Took me about an hour to R&R the module. I could probably do it in about 20 minutes now that I know the steps...

:)

jbplock
06-13-2007, 18:30
As described in the first post of this thread my windshield wipers were stuck on. The only way they could be stopped was to pull the fuse. The wiper control module PN is 88958136 - AKA “Cover Kit”. The module is mounted on the cover of the wiper gearbox, which is under the air inlet grille panel at the base of the windshield.

jplapan
08-07-2007, 18:52
all this is a great help.