PDA

View Full Version : K&Nreplacement air filter

JFerg65
05-31-2007, 18:06
OK, just replaced the stock airfilter with a K&N. Nothing fancy, just the direct replacement filter that fits in the stock airbox.

Here is my question;Am I just hearing things or is it wishful thinking on my part, but I really think the RPM's at idle droppped down a bit and the thing really sounds good, nice and smooth. Is this typical for this update?

It's amazing that any air could make it's way through the stock air filter that was in it.

bbtlr3
05-31-2007, 21:27
What you are hearing and feeling is probably due to exactly what you said at the end. The engine couldn't breath with the old plugged up filter and now it has plenty of air coming in. Stay on top of the air filter cleaning, diesel engines pull alot more air than gas engine and when they restricted it can cause all kinds of problems. Probably notice a small HP and mileage increase too.

JFerg65
06-01-2007, 16:22
Thanks for the response!! It's good to know that it wasn't all wishfull thinking on my part!!

a5150nut
06-01-2007, 21:11
Hope you have better luck than I did with K&N. I just removed mine, it only lasted 189k miles. :D

Cowracer
06-04-2007, 13:20
just my personal opinions, but with lots of people agreeing with me...

K&N air "filters" are the abolute worst thing you can do to an engine. You might as well just pull the filter out of the housing and run wide open. It will give you as much power as a K&N, and stop about as much grit.

Looking at raw numbers, K&N look great. They have super flow numbers, but the amount of crap they let into the engine is horrible.

For my money, the best point on the airflow/filtration curve is a quality paper filter.

Tim

john8662
06-04-2007, 15:10
Don't let me get the drop light out and shine in the inside...

J

HH
06-04-2007, 19:51
just my personal opinions, but with lots of people agreeing with me...

K&N air "filters" are the abolute worst thing you can do to an engine. You might as well just pull the filter out of the housing and run wide open. It will give you as much power as a K&N, and stop about as much grit.

Looking at raw numbers, K&N look great. They have super flow numbers, but the amount of crap they let into the engine is horrible.

For my money, the best point on the airflow/filtration curve is a quality paper filter.

Tim
I agree. Did an oil sample while using the K&N and there was a high level of silicate (dirt) in the oil. Changed to a stock 1997 style filter and levels came back to normal. I am not a fan of the K & N.....Sorry.