PDA

View Full Version : opinions for upgrades

mbourland
05-27-2007, 18:15
I just bought a 90 model 1ton dually with a blown up 6.2 The truck already has a banks turbo and exhaust on it but the engine has custom vent holes in the block....ha ha. my question is should I replace the engine with another 6.2( I found on on ebay that was a hummer surplus engine for 550.00 complete) or drop in a 6.5, or drop in a cummins. If I go with another 6.2 or 6.5 what should I upgrade while the engine is out. I am looking for some power but not at the expense of drivability. any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

john8662
05-28-2007, 21:56
You certainly have several options.

Option 1.

Build a custom 6.2 made for turbocharging. Start with a good 6.2L block and coat the pistons with ceramic for this application. Use 6.5L heads to use the 6.5 head gasksets (stronger) or use the 6.2 heads on the blown engine if they're the later w/o a certain port (more info in mem area).

Option 2.

Factory 6.5TD engine. Just need the longblock, add your turbocharging components.

These two options are a good option for a repower.

A Cummins conversion is costly and usually doesn't compliment the truck well, in that things just don't fit right and work right in the long run.

Get the old engine out so we can all take a gander at the guts!

J