PDA

View Full Version : "Turbo" injectors necessary with a Banks?

914turboford
05-24-2007, 18:38
I have found a currently NA 6.2 to replace my broken Banks turbo'd 1985 6.2 in my K10. Along with this motor I will be getting another complete turbo setup (DK if Banks, ATS, or whatever) off another 6.2 the guy has. Supposedly this other motor has a "turbo" IP and "turbo" injectors. Would this typically mean that they are 6.5TD parts? Is there a way I can tell if my current motor has a turbo IP and turbo injectors? If my current motor does not have these, is it worth paying this guy extra to get these parts?

Brian

Robyn
05-24-2007, 21:51
The little 6.2 will run fine with stock squirts as long as they are in good shape. Turn the IP up 1/4 turn on the fuel screw and your good to go.
A little more POP PSI wont hurt anything.

Much extra just makes them sound like an unhappy Power Stroke.

The extra PSI on the squirts makes the pump work harder and the engine rattle more is all.

Stock pressures will make for a happy little diesel rat.

Good luck

Robyn

914turboford
05-25-2007, 11:51
Cool. What about fuel economy? Is it affected by the other injectors?

Robyn
05-25-2007, 13:18
There has been much discussion about different injectors hear at TDP
Generally speaking unless you are cranking up more fuel in a quest for big power the stock stuff is the best choice.
The IP controls the amount of fuel thats injected and not the injector.
Actually the units used on the 6.2/6.5 should be refered to as "Fuel injection nozzles" they are just a spring loaded poppet valve that allows fuel to pass after a predetermined pressure is reached.

Stay away from the trick stuff. Its costly and I dont really think for the average engine its going to do anything for you.

Good luck

Robyn

914turboford
05-25-2007, 15:09
Thank you for the advice.
Brian

reiswigt
05-25-2007, 16:07
Brian,

Send me a Private Message. I'd like to discuss your used Banks parts.

Todd

britannic
05-27-2007, 07:07
It won't hurt to run an extra 200-300psi (assuming the TD injectors are around 2100psi). Better atomization and less time to inject the go juice make for more efficiency if the timing is spot on. The pump won't have any problems handling it either; it's well within it's maximum pressure envelope. :)

HillBilly2
05-27-2007, 09:23
"more efficiency if the timing is spot on"....hmmmm sounds like a good thing. It should lead to better mileage? What are you talking about here, increasing the pop point of the injectors? By more shims? Details would be appreciated. I intend to replace injectors and pump soon, so any improvements should be done at that time.

britannic
05-27-2007, 20:43
You can either get the 6.5TD injectors or have an injector rebuilder shim them to a higher than stock pressure. Not much point exceeding the 6.5TD pop pressure though, unless you're blueprinting the engine for high HP on the drag strip :) or similar.