PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

ercaduceus
05-22-2007, 03:08
Hello,

I'm new to the group and new to diesels. I've been working on SBCs and BBCs and I am mechanically inclined. A couple weeks ago I bought a 1998 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab K1500 with a 6.5TD and 4L80E with 50k original miles. The truck is mint and bone stock. It even still had the original plastic over the back seat. The only problems were that the truck was dirty from sitting and a minor exhuast manifold leak (bad gasket). I've been hearing that the 6.5 is a bad motor. My friend who is a tech states the block will crack and I wasted my money. So far I love the truck. However I would like to get a little more omph out of it. I replaced the oil with synthetic, flushed the coolent system, replaced the trans fluid with synthetic and replaced the filter, replaced the fuel filter, changed the diff fluid with synthetic, flushed and changed the brake fluid. I plan on putting a stainless exhaust kit and cold air intake on the truck to speed up the spool on the GM-8 turbo and replace the injectors with marine ones.

My stupid newbie questions,

Am I missing anything?

Is there any air intakes for a truck with a mass airflow sensor other than SSdiesels? AFEs model states it wont work with a MAS.

Are the bypass oil filters worth the money? Will it decrease my oil changes and increase performance?

Also while under my truck I noted that I have the same suspension and rear axle and my friends Gas K2500. I'm confused because mine is a K1500. I also have what looks to be a factory class V hitch. What gives?

I don't plan on towing with the truck much if ever. Just a daily driver/toy. Thanks in advance and sorry for the book.

Mike

moondoggie
05-22-2007, 09:00
Good Day!

"I don't plan on towing with the truck much if ever." 6.2/6.5's, according to lots of reading here on the Page over the years, + the block cracking poll, leads me to believe that these engines do indeed crack blocks, but mostly if worked hard, perhaps for 50K to 150K miles. Used as you describe, it might outlast you. Check my signature - both 95's have ~ 1/4 million trouble-free miles.

"I've been working on SBCs and BBCs..." What are these?

"...I would like to get a little more omph out of it." To get more omph, & make it last longer:

IMMEDIATELY get rid of the pretty gray plastic engine cover. It holds heat that will eat your FSD.

EXHAUST: Get a 3 1/2" - 4" system, turbo back. Take a look at your downpipe - if it's stock, it looks like it was run over on the highway. The good aftermarket systems have a mandrel-bent 3" downpipe (the size of the turbo outlet); I've got JK's system on my Sub.

GAUGES: EGT & boost, minimum. Now you'll know what's going on.

THE REST: Do some searches - the sky's the limit. Sorry - can't answer most of your questions.

"Also while under my truck I noted that I have the same suspension and rear axle and my friends Gas K2500. I'm confused because mine is a K1500. I also have what looks to be a factory class V hitch. What gives?" I'd bet his is the light 3/4 ton, with 6 bolt wheels. The heavy 3/4 ton has 8 bolt wheels.

Keep us updated.

Blessings!

DmaxMaverick
05-22-2007, 11:06
......"I've been working on SBCs and BBCs..." What are these?......

Didn't eat your Wheaties this morning, Moondoggie??? Small/Big Block Chevy....

Good advice, though....

moondoggie
05-22-2007, 12:32
Good Day!

So, in other words, a small block is a 6.2 & a big block is a 6.5, right? :eek:

Oh yeah, that's right, those would be gas engines. I have little use for gas, except perhaps to clean parts. :p :D

Blessings!
(signature in previous post)

moondoggie
05-22-2007, 12:33
Oops - clicked twice.

john8662
05-22-2007, 13:50
Good Day!

Oh yeah, that's right, those would be gas engines. I have little use for gas, except perhaps to clean parts. :p :D

Now that's the spirit! :D

ercaduceus
05-22-2007, 16:21
Thanks for the advise. Maybe I should have left out the part about my experience with gas chevys. HA HA.

a5150nut
05-22-2007, 18:32
Thanks for the advise. Maybe I should have left out the part about my experience with gas chevys. HA HA.

Welcome to TDP. And don't worry, we all come from a checkered past........:eek:

DmaxMaverick
05-22-2007, 22:17
Gas can be useful. Like Moondoggie said, parts cleaning. Plus, imagine the cost and complexity of a Diesel chainsaw. It would peg the cool meter, but probably weigh a ton. At least my R/C cars and planes are almost Diesel.....Nothing like the smell of top fuel in the morning......Except maybe...Diesel...

Robyn
05-23-2007, 08:06
I have messed around with radio contolled toys like copters and planes and there are little diesels available for the planes.
A diesel chainsaw might not be that tough to build.

I do believe that these engines run just like the little glow alky engines though and dont have an injection system.

Top fuel chainsaw?????????? :D sounds like fun.

back to the gist of the matter, just tell your gasser buddies to BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ off and go after your little diesel.

The exhaust and cold air will help a lot.

A chip for the computer will help a bunch too.
An aftercooler is a must if you are going to start thinking serious HP.

With some work and a few $$$ you can look at 275-300 HP with resonable reliability.

Keep the charge air cool and the EGT under 1000F and it will be a happy little creature and make loads of power.

And if you want you can blow black smoke all over your buddies :D :D Just to irritate them.

Good luck with the new toy

Robyn

More Power
05-23-2007, 12:17
1998 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab K1500 with a 6.5TD and 4L80E with 50k original miles. The truck is mint and bone stock. It even still had the original plastic over the back seat.

If I ran across a truck like that, I'd buy it on the spot.... ;)

Jim

ercaduceus
05-24-2007, 21:01
Hello,

Thank you all for the advise so far. I'm really getting into these little diesels. My dad works for the DOD and told me that there are a ton of 1.5 ton chevy pickups and blazers from the 80s with 6.2 diesels sitting around at work. I have an old S10 without a motor. I wonder if I could shoehorn a 6.2 in it. Has anyone done it. I figure, if my fried managed to fit a 402 BBC in an S10 why not a diesel.

Also, I was thinking about changing my 6.5 from a timing chain to gears. Has anyone had experience with SSdiesels performance cam shafts. I know that more lift and duration increases horsepower in a gas motor but how about a diesel. Is a new cam worth the money? Will it increase performance or just decrease my wallet weight? Will it affect durablity of the block?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

ercaduceus
05-24-2007, 21:06
[QUOTE=More Power]If I ran across a truck like that, I'd buy it on the spot.... ;)

I paid $8,000 even. The seller even paid my tax and transfer fees. He needed to sell real quick because he was taking a new job in another state or something. NADA said the list for the truck is $12,995 but I'm not sure what they really go for.

Mike

JeepSJ
05-25-2007, 11:55
Hello,

Thank you all for the advise so far. I'm really getting into these little diesels. My dad works for the DOD and told me that there are a ton of 1.5 ton chevy pickups and blazers from the 80s with 6.2 diesels sitting around at work. I have an old S10 without a motor. I wonder if I could shoehorn a 6.2 in it. Has anyone done it. I figure, if my fried managed to fit a 402 BBC in an S10 why not a diesel.

Also, I was thinking about changing my 6.5 from a timing chain to gears. Has anyone had experience with SSdiesels performance cam shafts. I know that more lift and duration increases horsepower in a gas motor but how about a diesel. Is a new cam worth the money? Will it increase performance or just decrease my wallet weight? Will it affect durablity of the block?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

You can make any engine fit into any chassis...

Gears are a great upgrade. There have been mixed opinions about the camshafts. Search the forums here.

a5150nut
05-25-2007, 22:29
Hello,

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Reminds me of my x- brother in law, put a 302 into a ranger. Ran well streight, just couldn't turn it because it was toooooooo much weight on that little front suspention.