PDA

View Full Version : Starter brace pictures please!

mstockton
05-20-2007, 20:22
My truck was missing the starter brace when I got it, can anyone post up a picture or give me a link so I can see what it looks like so I can source one for my truck, before my starter mount cracks!

-Thanks much,

Martin

moondoggie
05-21-2007, 10:44
Good Day!

If you never get pics, don't despair: You really don't need them. Your local GM dealer can supply it, & they're pretty cheap - I think I paid ~ $6 for the one on my daughter's 89 (below). Or, try rockauto.com.

Blessings!

john8662
05-21-2007, 12:16
Think there is a pic on the members section of the page...

Here is a link to a post with the p/n for either brackets (depending on which starter you're using).

Starter Bracket Part Numbers (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=22417&highlight=bracket+part+number)

mstockton
06-03-2007, 15:22
when i tore my engine down the rebuild it, what i believe is the brace was not bolted up to the starter, just the block
how does the brace attach? Does it use one of the long through bolts in the starter case or what, not sure how i can attach the brace

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Martin

Craig M
06-04-2007, 08:31
Yes it attaches to one of the 3 long bolts on the back of the starter. On the orignal GM starter the one bolt that the bracket attaches to has a welded nut and 1/2" long stud attached to the stock long bolt. The extension allows the bracket to attach and bolt up. Bradcket is very difficult to access.

mstockton
06-05-2007, 00:58
Yes it attaches to one of the 3 long bolts on the back of the starter. On the orignal GM starter the one bolt that the bracket attaches to has a welded nut and 1/2" long stud attached to the stock long bolt. The extension allows the bracket to attach and bolt up. Bradcket is very difficult to access.

Dang, my starter doesn't have this stud, just the three bolts, is this because its a cheap knockoff brand or something? Really don't want to risk the block here, but starters are expensive!

Craig M
06-06-2007, 08:53
The "correct" bolt can be purchased. Just unbolt the current one and replace with the studded bolt.

mstockton
06-06-2007, 10:58
Where would be the best place to source one of these studs? Our local GM Parts dept basically told me that after 20 years they cease to stock parts, but I suppose you could query a part for a 1987 still, if they are the same.

-Martin

Craig M
06-11-2007, 16:04
I got mine from an old GM mechanic that had a few laying around. If someone on this board could give you a part number than you should be able to order from various GM stocking parts houses.

Goose
08-07-2007, 09:29
I going through the same thing...

anybody got more info on the studded bolt on the starter?

More Power
08-07-2007, 11:56
Here's a pic of the 6.2/6.5 starter brackets. :)

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/BRACKETS01.jpg

Jim

john8662
08-07-2007, 12:45
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/BRACKETS01.jpg

Or, Gear Reduction Starter Bracket on LEFT

Direct Drive Starter Bracket on RIGHT

Cause, many 88/89+ model 6.2's got the later starter used in the 6.5L.

J

Goose
08-07-2007, 13:16
Alright,

Today I got the bracket for the 6.5 starter, the two washers I was shorted when I got my new starter bolts, and the bolt that holds the bracket to the block.

Now I just need the stud on the starter for the bracket.
Anybody know anymore old diesel mechanics with one laying around??
Or anybody got the specs for it?

They could pull up everything except that part at the dealer.