PDA

View Full Version : About to buy 05 LLY

Mikes 05
05-19-2007, 21:04
Hey guys I'm new to the world of diesels, I recently left the Marine Corps after 4yrs of service in the infantry and 2 tours in Iraq, and some money to buy the truck I want. I'm looking at a 05 2500HD crew cab short bed w/ a LLY for $32,500 w/ 30,849 mi. From reading on this forum I understand its important to see the service records on the trucks due to some over heating issues. I ran carfax on it and it came out to be a corporate vehicle with a clean history. What are some of the things I should look for? The truck ran great and doesn't leak any fluids, under the hood looks brand new, interior is in excellent condition. The VIN is 1GCHK23235F832149 and the link to the truck is http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=221889507&dealer_id=57546232&car_year=2005&search_type=both&num_records=25&make=CHEV&keywordsfyc=&transmission=&distance=50&model=CHEVC25&address=08876&make2=&advanced=y&default_sort=priceDESC&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&first_record=26&body_code=0&end_year=2008&color=&keywordsrep=&start_year=2005&drive=&pager.offset=25&engine=&doors=&style_flag=1&fuel=Diesel&cardist=37. What kind of info can you pull up on this truck and what do you think? Thanks in advance for the help.-Mike S.

Mountainman
05-19-2007, 22:35
Mike, I love my '05 LLY but I bought mine brand new at less than what you are looking at. I would look around a bit. Overheating could be a problem if you tow big and tall and choose highways that are the same. If you OH, there is a sure-fire fix and it don't come from Chevrolet. The '05 LLY is one super truck and the one change to make that makes the truck outstanding is put Bilstein shocks on it.
Mike, this American wants to thank you for your service

Mikes 05
05-20-2007, 14:29
Thanks for the reply, I've looked at 5 others and this seemed to be the cleanest and cheapest I could find. I used the NADA website and it comes out to be worth $33,775 am I missing something?

Mark Rinker
05-20-2007, 16:46
Too much money, IMO. Keep looking and buy an '06 LBZ if you have that budget in mind. Or, save some coin and buy and early '04 LB7.

rob from bc canada
05-20-2007, 23:08
I agree with Mountainman - nothing generally wrong with 05 LLY except:

- possibility of #2 and #7 injector harness failure - easy fixes reported on another forum
- possible overheat if you tow big and heavy in hot weather up long grades - also fixable.

Whereas - late LB7s still have the internal hard to replace failure prone injectors and to my knowledge no extended warranty after 03.

06 LLY or LBZ is maybe a bit better than 05 - no overheats - but hard to find used ones.

So, good value ends up being the best deal you can find on what you want when you want it. It's always nice to get a better deal, but I don't believe in wasting more time getting the perfect deal than its worth.

If you like the truck - and it sure looks like a nice one - I'd go for it.

Mikes 05
05-21-2007, 15:38
Thanks for the response, I don't plan on towing anything real heavy, just my car on a open trailer (no more than 6000lbs). I've been looking at others and for the price this was the cleanest one I could find. Alot of the LBZ's are out of my price range. With the injector harness, I'll ask the dealer if they can give me the new harness when I pick the truck up. Then I'm going to do a 4" exhaust from either kennedy diesel or MBRP, and edge juice w/ attitude controller. Thanks again for the help.

Bornready6.5
05-22-2007, 08:31
FWIW, I am currently in the same boat and looking at a '05 D/A crew DRW. I am still test driving it as we speak. Suppose to crunch the numbers after work. The truck has 19,000 miles on it and I am paying $29,900. About 6K below wholesale. I would shop around some more. $35k sounds too high.

Just gotta see what GM did about the cooling issues on mine and find out what they are giving me trade in on my 01.

Good luck and thanks for serving our country.

Now back to researching this LLY stuff before I sign my life away...again.

MikeC
05-22-2007, 10:05
I have the Edge Juice with Attitude for an 05 LLY.

I took it off of my 05 when I traded it in.

It has a stainless mount that pu\\attaches under the sun visor mount.

First $300 will take it.

Mike

jsmiracle
05-22-2007, 18:44
Mikes 05,

I bought my '05 LLY CC SB (very similar to the truck you're looking at, see my sig) new near invoice price using GM Employee Pricing program at $38k (on the road). MSRP was approx. $45k.

I tow a fairly large bunkhouse TT (~9500 lbs.) about 5k miles per year over mountains, in the summer, and have never experienced even slightly high engine temps (now it'll blow up on my way towing to Myrtle Beach, SC:rolleyes: this Friday).

I know some on this forum have experienced these overheating issues, but I have not at all. I am very happy with my truck.:)

"Thanks" for your service. Not many truly understand the cost of freedom.... Take care.

Enjoy whatever you do,
Jim M.

Mikes 05
05-24-2007, 16:05
Thanks for the help guys, I went back to the dealer and got the truck for $35000 out the door (tax titles tags etc..) I really like the truck I'm glad I decided to buy the duramax and not the 6.0. Now its time for me to look at a exhaust and a edge juice w/ attitude when I come up with some more money. Again thankyou everyone in helping me save some money, I really appreciate it.- Mike

REDTRUCK05
05-31-2007, 00:04
Hey guys I'm new to the world of diesels, I recently left the Marine Corps after 4yrs of service in the infantry and 2 tours in Iraq, and some money to buy the truck I want. I'm looking at a 05 2500HD crew cab short bed w/ a LLY for $32,500 w/ 30,849 mi. From reading on this forum I understand its important to see the service records on the trucks due to some over heating issues. I ran carfax on it and it came out to be a corporate vehicle with a clean history. What are some of the things I should look for? The truck ran great and doesn't leak any fluids, under the hood looks brand new, interior is in excellent condition. The VIN is 1GCHK23235F832149 and the link to the truck is http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=221889507&dealer_id=57546232&car_year=2005&search_type=both&num_records=25&make=CHEV&keywordsfyc=&transmission=&distance=50&model=CHEVC25&address=08876&make2=&advanced=y&default_sort=priceDESC&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&first_record=26&body_code=0&end_year=2008&color=&keywordsrep=&start_year=2005&drive=&pager.offset=25&engine=&doors=&style_flag=1&fuel=Diesel&cardist=37. What kind of info can you pull up on this truck and what do you think? Thanks in advance for the help.-Mike S.
I bought a new 05 lly 2500HD. I never had overheating issues, but the cooling fan ran all the time when I pulled. I was very loud and I got really bad MPG. I just traded mine in on a new 07 2500HD crew cab with the lbz. I am very happy with it!

jsmiracle
05-31-2007, 07:56
I am MB, SC. I towed my family and the TT in my sig below from central KY. The cooling fan only came ON a couple of times during the 600+ mile trip over the Appalachian Mtns. I also hand calc.'d MPG at 12.0 mpg. I feel that's very good. Another guy down here said he got 8-9 mpg with a gasser.

I hope your experience with your '05 LLY is more like mine....let us know.

Jim M.