PDA

View Full Version : Injection pump and head gaskets

vaughn54
05-18-2007, 17:41
I had my 1998 G3500 van to the dealer today to determine what was making it run rough. I had already put a new lift pump on it earlier in the week and I had them install a new fuel filter. didn't fix it. The computer code both times he checked it came back as bad injection pump. Not PMD.
It has 150,000 miles on truck and 100,000 on block. It needs new head gaskets, new injectors, Probably new glow plugs while I am at it. It also needs a new axle. The mechanic said he would not recommend replacing the head gaskets as it is usually the block that makes them fail and not the heads.
The original block was bad at 50,000 and GM put in a new one on their nickle.
They also replaced that piece of crap they call an injection pump once.
He recommended I have a new engine with all new injectors and pump installed. I figure an all new engine with all the necessary stuff that goes with it at least $8,000 installed. A new axle and differential at least $2,000.
$ 10,000 and the truck maybe worth $ 5 or $ 6,000 after all that.
Do you think I should buy another truck and sell this one as is.
I would remove the $ 2,000.00 worth of Adrian shelving and safety cage.
They are in excellent condition.
The replacement block was installed in Jan of 2001. Was the blocks back then junk or did GM just use cheap parts because it was under warranty.
I have had more problems with this one vehicle than all my other vehicles combined.
What do you think it would be worth on the open market. The tranny is excellent. One spot of rust and the left side door hinges are froze and doesn't open.
Thanks

arveetek
05-19-2007, 09:46
I think you need to find someone else to diagnose your problems. Sounds to me like you have found the typical dealer who doesn't know enough about the 6.5L and is of the mindset that they'd rather replace than repair. A failing PMD will not show up in the codes itself, but rather disguise itself as an injection pump code.

How do you know it needs new injectors and headgaskets? Injectors, maybe. Head gaskets, that's unlikely with only 100,000 miles on it. I have over 200,000 miles on my 6.5L, and it's all stock except for the IP and PMD.

I'd search out a better repair shop who's very familiar with the 6.5L.

Casey

vaughn54
05-19-2007, 21:53
Thanks for the reply Casey, I know it needs head gaskets. I have to keep adding coolant and I have had the dog box off inside the van and watched around the heads while the engine warmed up. After a while as the engine gets warmer it starts seeping antifreeze on the upper front part of the drivers side head.
I am definately getting another truck anyway. This one is costing me money in down time. It is my work van for my contracting business.
I have a local shop close to my home who will do the head gaskets and install a new axle. A van is no fun to work on. He could of said no but he didn't.
Do you think I should purchase a new remote PMD cooler unit from Kennedy Diesel and see if that fixes the problem. Is there any way to check the PMD.
By the way, The GM garage said a new IP is around $ 2,000 and I see Kennedy is selling them around $ 1,100. I know GM prices are over priced.
I will get the items fixed as I get the money.