PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Sound.....

keplinger78
05-18-2007, 05:30
Hello All,

Well I just got the diesel back and working on the welding bed,My dads buddy came up to the shop in a 96 Dodge Diesel...That thing sounded like it was mean!!! It has 5" pipe on it and could hear a little turbo wine it idle...Will the 6.5 sound like that with 4" on it????

Thanks Tom K.

Robyn
05-18-2007, 08:57
A 6.5 with a 4" tube on it will definately sound awesome.

The Dodge being a 6 cylinder is going to have a far different exhaust note though.

I have seen 6.2/6.5's with everything from 3 inch straight pipes to dual 4 inchers that were setup from a Y just aft of the down pipe.

They can have a sound that varies from just nasty all the way to a very mellow rumble with plenty of turbo whistle.
It all depends on how its done.

I am thinking about doing a dual 4 inch on my 91 Burb once I get the 6.5 with the Banks in there.

Too big a pipe will just spend a lot of dollars and yield very little other than points on the "Kewl Scale" :D

A 5 inch system on a 6.5 is most likely going to sound like a large bug farting in a garbage can. :confused:

4 inch would be the max I would use in either single or dual

Dont be supprised when the exhaust guy hands you the bill either as systems of this size are not cheap :eek:

have fun

Robyn

daustin
05-18-2007, 11:40
I've got 3" from the turbo back to right before the rear axle, then a splitter and dual 2" out to behind the rear tire. About 18" before the exit, it goes to 3"
again with crome ends. Not really loud but has a nice rumble and you can hear the turbo through the exhaust. Aside from starting to rust, i like it!
Don

gvig
05-18-2007, 12:53
Once again, it will mainly depend on the load on the engine. No load will have a serious rumble, but pulling a heavy load from a dead stop to speed will create some serious noise:eek:

If you are just using the truck for transportation and not pulling, you will like a straight system.

If you start pulling a heavy load, the neighbors won't like you:(

George

robertb6963
05-18-2007, 16:50
I ran open-turbo for awhile, lots of turbo whine...but didn't sound anything like a cummins.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
05-19-2007, 13:17
Running a five inch exhaust does not sound like a bug farting in a garbage can.:D It actually has quite a low rumble to it, and downshifting coming to a stop it sounds like a semi. Best way to get the turbo whine louder, is definetely a bigger exhaust. Though I will agree that beyond the cool factor, the five inch with a 6" tip doesn't really have any use.:cool: