PDA

View Full Version : Starter, Blown Fuse??

Dennis22
05-17-2007, 17:09
The Starter went on my 96 4x4 Suburban for the third time. I was away from home when it went and was able to bang on it and it turned over and started. So I figured I would press my luck and took it to work the following day, and if all else fails I would bang on it to get it going. Well it would not start so out comes the baseball bat, while banging on it I hit the heat shield around the started which made a connection with the hot wire to the starter and sparks were a flying. Now, I do not have any dash lights, I have headlights and the radio comes on but thats it. I get no idiot lights when I turn the key. I would think I blew a fuse??? I have no book for the truck so I can not find the fuse that I blew??
Any Ideas? If not the fuse then what??
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

DmaxMaverick
05-17-2007, 17:29
The Starter went on my 96 4x4 Suburban for the third time. I was away from home when it went and was able to bang on it and it turned over and started. So I figured I would press my luck and took it to work the following day, and if all else fails I would bang on it to get it going. Well it would not start so out comes the baseball bat, while banging on it I hit the heat shield around the started which made a connection with the hot wire to the starter and sparks were a flying. Now, I do not have any dash lights, I have headlights and the radio comes on but thats it. I get no idiot lights when I turn the key. I would think I blew a fuse??? I have no book for the truck so I can not find the fuse that I blew??
Any Ideas? If not the fuse then what??
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

Sounds like you fried one or both of the fusible links. It's like a fuse, but it's integrated with the power wire, and supplies power to all the accessories and ignition. Look for a fat section, about 1.5 - 2" long, on the wire. It's probably crispy now.

stingthieves
05-19-2007, 16:01
Are you sure you checked ALL the fuses in the box under the hood -near the Master cylinder There is one labeled IGN that must proof or the starter will not crank. Found out the hard way last fall when I changed the heads on mine!

Dennis22
05-25-2007, 03:59
Still nothing!!
Checked the fusable links, all good. Checked fuses, all seem good.
I have headlights and radio but no dash lights. When I try to crank it over, nothing. The selinoid on the wheel well by the passenger side battery has power on both sides.
I brought the truck to a garage and he can not figure out why there is no power getting to the starter.
I did replace the starter and the wire to the starter seemed good.
Any suggestions where to look next?

Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis22
05-25-2007, 04:06
After reading the other post about stater problems in which theres was a cut/burned through wire, I think I should look more into that. There is a wire that goes from the starter to the battery area, should I also be looking at another wire somewhere else??

Thanks

redbird2
05-25-2007, 05:24
Still nothing!!
Checked the fusable links, all good. Checked fuses, all seem good.
I have headlights and radio but no dash lights. When I try to crank it over, nothing. The selinoid on the wheel well by the passenger side battery has power on both sides.
I brought the truck to a garage and he can not figure out why there is no power getting to the starter.
I did replace the starter and the wire to the starter seemed good.
Any suggestions where to look next?

Thanks,
Dennis

You stated not power getting to the starter are you talking battery voltage on the battery cable or power on the crank circuit?

1) have you checked battery connection at right battery that feeds starter everthing else feeds power off the 10 gauge red wire from the left battery.

2) will it crank or start if you jump power to the starter solenoid wire from the battery?

3) have you checked to see if igntion switch is getting power on all the power feeds?

I agree with Dennis22 i would be back looking at the area where the brunt wire was

good luck

Dennis22
05-25-2007, 05:39
You stated not power getting to the starter are you talking battery voltage on the battery cable or power on the crank circuit?

1) have you checked battery connection at right battery that feeds starter everthing else feeds power off the 10 gauge red wire from the left battery.

2) will it crank or start if you jump power to the starter solenoid wire from the battery?

3) have you checked to see if igntion switch is getting power on all the power feeds?

I agree with Dennis22 i would be back looking at the area where the brunt wire was

good luck

Battery connections seem good, she will not crank or make any sound at all (no clicking)
She will start if you jump power to the starter solenod!
I do not know how to check and see if ignition switch is getting power on all the power feeds??

Dennis22
05-25-2007, 13:04
Got it!!

It was the fuse marked IGN !!! a friend of mine checked it and said it was good. well... I pulled it and sure enough it was blown.
We are good to go.

Thanks for the help!