PDA

View Full Version : Banks turbo

reiswigt
05-16-2007, 16:02
I aquired a use Banks turbo recently. It turned out to be for an '88 or newer body style, so I knew that there would be airbox issues. No big deal, make a new airbox and draw cold air from a new cowl induction hood, what a great excuse to get the hood!

I started to read both sets of instructions and look at both sets of pictures the other night. All is not well. The manifold for the newer body style is above the exhaust ports while the older style is below the exhaust ports. Something tells me I'm going to have exhaust pipe interference issues post turbo.

It looks like I have 3 options. One, hammer, cut and bend till things fit or something breaks (usually something breaks first and then it gets expensive). Two, find someone who has the oposite problem and wants to trade parts (hint, hint). Three, make a new post turbo exhaust that goes up, forward and then diagonally back, out through the fender, ala old hot rods and WWII war birds.

Any other options or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Todd

Robyn
05-16-2007, 17:59
As long as the turbo manifold and the turbo will bolt onto the engine and not hit anything you should be able to get everyhting squared away so it will fit.

The area right around the engine is somewhat different on the newer trucks but not all that much.

You will no doubt have to rework the down pipe a bit.
Another area of issue may be the crossover pipe.
A 4x4 application should not cause any isssue but a 2wd may be a problem..
Good luck

Robyn

JeepSJ
05-17-2007, 12:43
He will have major fitment issues. The early and late body style trucks have turbo locations that are not even close. The late body style has the turbo in the approximate same location as the factory 6.5TD location, while the early body style kits mount the turbo low and in front of the #2 cyl. Crossovers are totally different as well - early goes around the front, under the damper, while the later goes around the back.

Robyn
05-17-2007, 19:34
OK I have never seen a late banks 6.2 setup. If that be the case then its gonna be almost impossible to get it to work right.

Better off to sell it and dig up the early style goodies.

I was thinking about doing a late GM 6.5 setup on my 91 Burb but thought better of it after I really got into measuring it all up.

later

Robyn

Dmax son
05-18-2007, 02:33
Can you take a picture of the manifold??

Thanks
Bryan

reiswigt
05-18-2007, 15:27
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC03533.JPG

Let's see if this works. I think I have included the photo of the late model Banks 6.2 exhaust manifold as you requested.

Todd

gvig
05-18-2007, 18:54
Todd, Would you send me a PM? I need to communicate with you!

George

arveetek
05-19-2007, 09:37
Click here (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1344551489029465272jWOuNA) and here (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1026612225029465272ycnYuXLUgf) to see images of the early body style manifold.

The later body style manifolds do, in fact, represent the 6.5L factory turbo style manifolds, in which the crossover pipe goes down and around the back of the engine and back up into the rear of the passenger side manifold. The early style Banks has the crossover wrap around the front of the engine and up into the bottom of the passenger side manifold, directly underneath the turbo.

Casey