PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a 6.2 SB 4x4. Engine siezed?

914turboford
05-16-2007, 08:11
I just bought a 1985 GMC SB 4x4 6.2/700R4. It has a Banks turbo. The engine appears to be siezed. I tried to turn it by the bolt holding the front crank pulley. The bolt tightened and the pulley did not seem to turn at all. I think I can get more leverage if I remove the torque converter cover and pry on a flexplate tooth against the trans or something. Is there any chance it will move? The history of the engine is unknown. When it was put on the tow truck and the front end was low diesel came pouring off the front of the engine. Don't know if this could be related in any way. Wondering if maybe a cylinder is filled all the way with fuel and locked. I wonder if I remove the glow plugs if it might have a chance of turning. Any other ideas?

More Power
05-16-2007, 12:20
Pulling the glow plugs, then try turning the crank would be a good idea. I'm a little surprised you were able to tighten the damper bolt.... It should now be torqued to 200 ft-lbs.

Jim

914turboford
05-16-2007, 12:53
I'm a little surprised you were able to tighten the damper bolt.... It should now be torqued to 200 ft-lbs.

Jim

I used an 18" breaker and was probably applying nearly that much.

Even though I said I don't know the engine's history I was told it had a starting problem. I was thinking about it more since I posted. I wonder if the PO tried starting fluid and maybe I've got a broken glow plug tip in a cumbustion chamber. I guess I'd find that out by removing the plugs too.

Robyn
05-16-2007, 13:45
Howdy

My guess is that the PO run the snot out of it and fried a hole in a piston.

Look in the air cleaner box, is there a lot of oil in there as well as in the intake its a good bet this is what happened.
Possibly a turbo bearing failure resulting in the engine oil being pumped out into the exhaust until it was low.

I just went through one of these situations.

The pistons will burn through causing a severe blowby condition and the engine will burn off the oil being blown over the top and then run out resulting in a seizure.

I would just yank it out and rip into it.

If its siezed totally you will need to remove the engine with the converter still bolted on.
Get the pan off and see whats up in the basement and then yank the heads.

My bet is it has one piston with a hole in it and most probably some rod bearings gone that caused the lock.

If it had a cylinder full that would leak by over a short time and would turn through anyway.

Good luck

Robyn

914turboford
05-17-2007, 11:56
Yeah, you're probably right. I think I'll try pulling the glow plugs just for grins. Where can I get a decent used 6.2 in the Sacramento area?

Brian