PDA

View Full Version : Drove to NC (from PA), cracked a piston, good times...

coinball
05-15-2007, 17:14
Title says it all...I swear my diesel rat hates me...

So what are some options?

1. Find the bad cylinder, yank the pan, pull the rod/slug out and put on new slug.

2. Find used shortblock, switch out...

3. Kennedy/penninsular engine

What have some of you guys done when this has happened?

The worst part is I need to be back in NC on monday to start my new job, and I sold my second vehicle several months ago...

NH2112
05-17-2007, 04:48
Well I think the quickest way will be option #1. Pull the front end to give yourself a lot more working room. Are you going to run a flex hone through it as well?

Robyn
05-17-2007, 08:40
Personally I would just yank the engine out.
This is not that bad of a job, and then you can get to all the components easily.

A good dutch scrub with some cleaner and a pressure washer would be in order.

Get the little beast apart and have a good look see at whats wrong and whats right.
Depending on the miles on the rig you have several options.

If the cylinder that failed is not hurt other than the piston then a light hone with a flex hone (As was mentioned) will most likely get it ready to go.

I personally would rip it down all the way and freshen it up.

Tank the block and check for cracks in the main webs and get the crank checked too.

Replace the soft plugs and such.

A timing chain would be in order.
Replace the guide buttons on the rockers.

Do some new bearings and rings along with seals and such and the short block should be ready to roar again.

Check the heads for any nasty looking cracks and have a look see at the valves and maybe replace the valve seals.

If the heads are ok drop them back on with a set of new bolts and rock on.

OH as is asked many times here, The copper colored ends of the push rods go to the rocker end

This is not a really nasty job and with some elbo grease you should be able to complete it and be back going in a couple weeks with ease.

If you must be back in NC you might be able to patch it up with a fresh piston and a set of rings on the bad hole in a couple days and get it going.

Thats your call for sure.

Good luck
Remember we re all here to help.

Robyn

Big Green
05-21-2007, 10:40
Opinions are like you-know-whats on bulletin boards and mine is no better...

So if you haven't torn into it what makes you think it's a cracked piston? These engines are also know for valve train issues with the rocker assemblies that can be very deceiving in their sound. If the noise is passenger side front I'd be looking at the valve train very closely.

A leaky injector can make death rattle noises too. Rule them out too.

So my step 1 would be to rule everything else out.

Good luck
Big Green