PDA

View Full Version : Fast Idle Solienoid

upsidedown_04
05-14-2007, 17:51
Just curious.. Does the Fast Idle Solienoid only operate during cold start up or does it also idle up when the A/C is on? I have voltage only when its cold.

diesel65
05-14-2007, 19:32
As you have found, it only works on cold start.

Robyn
05-14-2007, 20:40
The sole purpose is to maintain a steady idle when the engine is cold.

The fast idel is powered off the same circuit as the cold case advance mechanism and the little switch on the rear of the passenger side head shuts the power off when the engine warms a little. (about 125F)

upsidedown_04
05-15-2007, 16:38
Ok makes sence.. Thanks for your replies!

Subzilla
05-16-2007, 10:38
Just for the fun (and functionality) of it, I put an in-line switch on the dash board so I can turn off the advance/fast idle shortly after start-up. Unless it's really cold, I don't need this function for the 3 to 5 minutes it would normally operate. UNLESS one of you smart people tell me this high idle good for the engine because it burns off unused fuel or keeps the injectors clean or something like that.

JeepSJ
05-16-2007, 17:04
Just for the fun (and functionality) of it, I put an in-line switch on the dash board so I can turn off the advance/fast idle shortly after start-up. Unless it's really cold, I don't need this function for the 3 to 5 minutes it would normally operate. UNLESS one of you smart people tell me this high idle good for the engine because it burns off unused fuel or keeps the injectors clean or something like that.

I have mine totally bypassed right now as the switch was bad and I have not had time to replace it. I just use the skinny pedal to keep the revs up for a minute.