PDA

View Full Version : IP gear "ring"

sidehackbob
05-13-2007, 08:38
So yesterday I,m kinda deep into the 6.5 pulling a head to retrieve a valve I dropped trying to fix a broken spring.. any how I was rocking the crank back and forth to check out the condition of the timing chain and I hear this noise from the IP gear area rings like a bell I assume when the IP drive gear makes contact when changing directions.

Has anyone else heard this sound? seems very unnatural.

Robyn
05-13-2007, 08:49
Could be the timing chain slopping back and forth and causing the sprocket to make a dinging noise.

The IP is gear to gear and without any oil flowing it could also make some noise.

Not at all that big of a deal to get the front end opened up enough to take a peek though.

Might be a good thing to take a look see just in case there is something amiss and about to eat itself.

Sorry you had to yank the head. :(

Did you air the cylinder up to hold the valves shut?? :eek:

Best done with the piston at TDC and the crank locked with a bar.

On these engines there is no room to lose a valve if the piston is up even if the air goes away.

Let us know what you find

Robyn

sidehackbob
05-13-2007, 09:21
The chain appears to be very fresh. This noise isnt a thud or clunk like you might hear from chain slack, it is a definite ring.

No I wasnt using air. I "thought" I had the piston up..
On the good side I have some cool images.

rameye
05-13-2007, 16:26
I just had mine apart...the pump gear and cam gear do ring when they are dry..

I squirted some lube on them when I was barring over the engine and it stopped immediately...I thought I broke something else!!

Probably because they are hardened they ring..

sidehackbob
05-13-2007, 17:26
Thanks very much, the noise seems so wrong and is very close to the IP.

rameye
05-13-2007, 17:39
yup.... squirt some lube on them to make double sure...

d
05-13-2007, 20:33
Just wondering. Does the intake valve open in the precup chamber or the piston chamber. And I assume the exhaust valve opens in the piston chamber? I don't know as I have never had a head off.

DmaxMaverick
05-13-2007, 21:38
Just wondering. Does the intake valve open in the precup chamber or the piston chamber. And I assume the exhaust valve opens in the piston chamber? I don't know as I have never had a head off.

In the cylinder (piston chamber). The precup is only about 1.5" in dia. and contains the injector and glow plug. The flash hole is directed onto the piston top. The cylinder is just like any other when it comes to the combustion chamber, with the precup between the valves.