PDA

View Full Version : fuel leak

DFDureiko
05-09-2007, 07:41
I was at Home Depot the other day, leaving the parking lot. at the stop sign the engine died, could not restart. Fuel seemed to be leaking out when cranking the engine.
The GMC dealer could not start the truck, bled air from the fuel filter and now says the truck runs fine, no evidence of a fuel leak.
I had the filter changed in FL April 1st, towed a 10,000lb trailer to CT, no problems. I never let the tank get below 1/4....
any ideas what could have caused this?
I don't have a lot of faith in the CT GMC dealership. We had an intermitent a/c cutout that the dealer could not fix. Our mechanic in FL (a GM certified tech, but independant) knew right away what was causing it, and replaced a 35 dollar part and it's been fine ever since.
Dan
North Franklin, CT
2001 Sierra 2500 2wd/extended cab

Kennedy
05-09-2007, 20:39
While it would be odd that it waited this long to leak, some of the 2001's had an issue with the fuel pressure sensor leaking. Gm said replace the entire function block, but I've seen them simply torqued down to fix the leak. Usually when this leaks, it keeps leaking though.

Aside from this I guess I'd say pressurize with the hand pump and see if you can make it drip. Keep an eye of crankcase oil levels.

DFDureiko
05-14-2007, 14:32
the dealer said they saw a small leak from the water sensor on the fuel filter. but not like I saw in the parking lot. I don't get why this would be so intermittant. once it started leaking you'd think that would be it and it would keep leaking?
I'm dealing with the dealership from overseas, as soon as we get home we are going on an Airstream trip....a short one. but I'll be heading to Perry GA from CT and don't want any suprises on the road.
I called the service manger and asked him to check the fuel pressure sensor for leaks.
and We bought the 55,000mile '01 Duramax for low maintaince, dependablity and MPG
(p.s we get 14mpg towing a 34ft 10,000lb Airstream)
there is one dealership I trust, a chevy dealer about 40 miles away. I grew in the area and know the owner. so I think I go there for service from now on.
One would think, a GMC dealer, being all trucks,,,,would know the Duramax.
Dan