PDA

View Full Version : Military 6.2 Questions...

Lil'red
05-07-2007, 17:27
I have a '84 3/4 ton...There is a local guy who is selling 6.2 L military diesel engines with low miles which were all removed to be replaced by brand new engines before being shipped off overseas. He states they have no report of issues from military and are different from civilian 6.2(ie. better), his price is decent, I haven't seen them in person yet but the photos are of a very clean engine, but would I have issues with replacing parts or any other compatibility problems, thanks, Liam

Robyn
05-07-2007, 19:31
OK first off the military versions were 24 volt.

Very easy to convert the IP to use 12 volt, just need to replace the fuel shutoff solenoid.

The rest of the beast can be swapped back and forth to suit.

There is not any difference in the MIL engines as far as "Better" goes. They are all from the same pot.

I have seen a lot of these "So called good engines" and many were trash takeouts.
Be careful and you may be able to get a good buy.

Good luck

Robyn

88 K30
05-08-2007, 18:50
I have a '84 3/4 ton...There is a local guy who is selling 6.2 L military diesel engines with low miles which were all removed to be replaced by brand new engines before being shipped off overseas. He states they have no report of issues from military and are different from civilian 6.2(ie. better), his price is decent, I haven't seen them in person yet but the photos are of a very clean engine, but would I have issues with replacing parts or any other compatibility problems, thanks, Liam

There are a ton of these coming out since the old (mid-80's) HMMWV's were upgraded. They are usually good take-outs, but be careful. As Robyn pointed out, the only problem is the fuel shut-off solenoid, but your civilian one will fit. Use all of your brackets, accessories, intake & exhaust manifolds and glow-plugs and you should be set.

The only "better" military engines are the ones produced after AM General took over production, but they are not the engines that are being surplused right now...

AJMBLAZER
05-12-2007, 14:28
Don't forget that the military 6.2L's are all J-spec engines so they do make a bit more power than the lighter duty civilian 6.2L's did. Not much but it helps a little.

However being a 3/4 ton yours might have a J-spec engine already depending on it's GVWR.

NH2112
05-12-2007, 20:05
The military injector pumps also have hardened internals, since they were designed to run on "dry" JP4 as well as diesel. In fact, everything runs on JP8 now.

moody
05-20-2007, 23:19
Glow plugs on the mil will be 24 V and some of the sensors on the mil will have mil type connectors. Should be minor to switch pver.