PDA

View Full Version : New Banks Turbo - Other mods?

88 K30
05-04-2007, 17:19
OK, so I bit the bullet and ordered the Banks kit for my truck today from Gomer's (USDieselParts.com). As a DP member, I got a really good deal and I'm pretty excited, but I've also been thinking about the potential additional cooling requirements the turbo kit may introduce...

What thermostat should I be running? High-flow? What temperature? Have any of you running the Sidewinder kit on mid-80's body style trucks had any issues with cooling with A/C and external tranny coolers? My setup is bone stock right now.

Any thoughts/recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

88 K30
05-06-2007, 07:24
OK, so a forum search turned up the Robertshaw T-stat as the right choice, but after checking around, I'm not sure which one is right for my truck. 354? 370? I have an 1988, but it's the old body style with the v-belts, not the serpentine setup. Kennedy's site says the 354:

Fits approx. 87 through 96 models with single stat and spring loaded bypass valve. Identifiable by the spring loaded bypass restriction sticking out under the wax pellet.

I'm not even positive (without looking at the 2 side-by-side) what this means, but I know I have changed it in the past, so I'm not sure what it should have. Any way to tell?

I don't use my rig for regular heavy work, only for occasional towing of hobby stuff (cars and trucks), so I think I want to go with the 190* for regular driving. I assume the Banks kit would come with a different t-stat if it was required, so I guess that's not a huge worry. The radiator is only 1 or 2 years old, so I'm not too concerned about that.

I think I have the stock 195* t-stat (might be a Stant-type replacement), and I have noticed, as others have pointed out in old posts, that my truck always runs about 210* on the factory guage. However, it does this even at low to medium cruising speeds with no load, so I think the guage is just innacurate. I think I might put an Autometer mechanical guage in the truck when I do the turbo, just to feel better about it.

Any thoughts on the right t-stat are appreciated. Thanks!

Robyn
05-06-2007, 09:01
Pretty much any of the replacement stats will work fine.

Just be sure it has the air bleed device in the top and if not drill a tiny little hole in the flange.

These engines can air lock. Many of the later engines had an air bleed valve up on top of the stat housing.

Your truck should have a radiator with a fill cap on it where as the later trucks had the fill on the recovery bottle on the firewall.

Robyn