PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary Tank

Shanandoah
05-04-2007, 15:53
Does anyone have experience with Northern Tool's Diesel Install Kit for Auxiliary Diesel Fuel Tank Model #011029? They say it provides consistant gravity feed. Automatically controls the fuel level going into your oem tank so that it does not overfill. I am considering an in bed auxiliary tank and the above part on my 07, 3500 dually Silverado Classic.

truckguy
05-06-2007, 07:42
Hello, I have the auxillary install kit from Northern Tools. It makes installing the tank easier, but you should put a valve inline to turn off the fuel flowing into your factory tank when it gets full. My valve must leak a little because the main fuel tank gets too full and seeps around the fuel lines in the top of the tank. Not a big leak, but gets the outside of the tank wet. Also, when installing the valve you need to remove the plastic filler tub inside the main fill hose. I do not know what this is for, but my works fine without it. I took mine all the way out.

jsmiracle
05-07-2007, 10:07
I used the NT install kit, but I put a pump inline between the suction fitting on the tank to the "T" fitting in the OEM fuel fill line.

I posted some photos of the setup in TDP Photo Album.

Some had posted (previous to my installation) on here about experiencing some problems with overfilling (resulting in large spills) using only the gravity feed.

A gravity fill setup with a shutoff valve should be sufficient. However, I like being able to transfer fuel on-the-fly. I set up the gravity fill (with shutoff valve) as a backup means of fuel transfer.

Good luck and Welcome!,
Jim M.

jharden1
05-07-2007, 17:21
The key to the gravity flow it to put the vent air lower than the fuel. That way it doesn't overfill.

Red-eyed Duramax
05-13-2007, 08:32
There is a company in Chico California that makes a full replacement tank that replaces your factory tank. The one I have is 47 gallon tank. I can get alost 500 miles between fuel stops. They have a web site called Transfer Flow. Kind of expensive but worth it. New at this. Don't know how to post a link yet. working on it.

Shanandoah
05-18-2007, 11:38
The key to the gravity flow it to put the vent air lower than the fuel. That way it doesn't overfill.

jharden1, don't understand what you are saying, please explain what you mean by "put the vent air lower than the fuel". Thanks.

redman1940
08-08-2007, 21:00
shanandonh, you problay all ready have decided on the tank from northern . I put the 60 gal combo in last winter with the set up you reffered to.
On top of the oem tank is a rubber hose with vent on the end of it and when the oem tank fills it will start to leak from this vent It is located on top of the tank and the only way you can get to it is from side next to the drive shaft , you have to bend the sheet metal sheild down so you can get your hand on top of the tank. That is as far I went . I just shut the valve of at the ax. tank when oem tank is full , I guess if you rasied the vent to the height of the ax tank that should take care of the problem

jharden1
08-13-2007, 07:45
jharden1, don't understand what you are saying, please explain what you mean by "put the vent air lower than the fuel". Thanks.

Sorry for slow response, been busy. What I meant was if you do not let air in to the aux tank it wont let any fuel out. It's airlocked. That's the way I did it on my previous truck. So what happens is as fuel is used the level of fuel goes below the air vent then releases the airlock and fuel trickles in from the fuel line. As it fills then it covers the airvent back up and stope the fuel from flowing. See attachment

That all said. I wrote that before I bought the Northern fuel tank and the fuel line adapter. The northern tank is vented so it only needs a single line to the fuel tank. The adapter has a float valve built into it so it meters fuel as tank level drops. Painless easy install for tank and adapter. Lose 2 inches off the fiill neck pipe and adapter fits perfect. The only issue I've had is with a full aux tank sitting in the sun the fuel expanded out the vent pipe. My bad.

The aux tank with tool box (I have the 51 gal) is perfect for me. It cleans out the back seat and looks great. Combine fuel total is 76 gals and gives me about 1200 miles unrefueled range empty with 6 gal reserve. At 11.7 with trailer about 800 with reserve. The tank is also plumbed for feed and return lines, although I didn't use them. RDS makes the tank and has engineering drawings for download.

RDS (http://www.rdsaluminum.com/fueltoolboxcombo.html)

Northern (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306719_200306719)