PDA

View Full Version : New at this, ran out of fuel, what do I do?

bruosb1105
05-03-2007, 07:44
Hi All, Purchased a 93 Safari MH with the 6.5L motor. I've been working on it since last Fall. The current problem I've come across is a leak at the fuel filter, seems to be on the underside. I changed the fuel filters, the stock one on the motor (the one that is leaking) and an after market filter. The after market filter has a pump on it so what I've been told is to bleed all the air out. The pump worked great. Started right up and when I was checking for leaks the motor quit?? I pulled the stock filter out and noticed the fuel bowl was empty. Seems like the lift pump isn't working? Why now after changing the fuel filter? Did I do something wrong? Also, a buddy at work gasped once I told him I ran it out of fuel! Is that bad and how to you restart it. I didn't try anything, just pulled out the key and went in to have a beer and think about it.

Three questions? Did I do something wrong when I change the filters? Has anyone experienced a leak at the fuel filter? And, is there a procedure to get this motor started after running it out of fuel?? Thanks for any help you guys can offer me.

999kid
05-03-2007, 09:34
The owners manual explains how to bleed the air out. Loosen the fuel cap on the tank, loosen the black plastic spout on the fuel filter and crank till clear fuel and no air bubbles appear. If it starts while doing this, that's ok, leave the bleeder open until clear fuel comes out., if it will not fill up with fuel then the lift pump or oil pressure switch that powers the lift pump are bad. good luck.