PDA

View Full Version : ULSD Is No Fun!

TurboDiverArt
05-02-2007, 14:13
Hey All,

Rant mode on, just have to vent a little. Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) takes a lot of the fun out of owning a diesel. I

john8662
05-02-2007, 14:29
I get ya...

My dad's not as happy either.. His 'ol 6.2 Van with the dual exhaust on the same side (driver's) smoke under full throttle and near the governor (like quite a bit of black).

His joy was getting beside "polite" drivers and well, you know...

Not so much now:(

This can be remedied several ways though (EGR Solenoid or Boost Solenoid)...

J

DA BIG ONE
05-02-2007, 15:24
It appears some real environ-mental persons are recycling themselves for use as an additive for us diesel folks, NA, JUST KIDDING.........

With my setup and this new fuel I can still soot and silt those who stop next to my exhaust at stop lights, kinda funny they look and stare at the truck then stay way behind....................

Robyn
05-02-2007, 18:36
Rig up a flap to cover the air intake and hook it up to a push pull cable.
When you romp on the sucker you can choke it a little and get loads of smoke. :eek:
Once you have killed all the mosquitoes for 100 miles you can open it up and get on down the road. :D :D :D

He he he he he :rolleyes:

Robyn

Robyn
05-02-2007, 18:43
Robyn sneeks out back and climbs into her Flame throwing FORD. :D

Gonna head on down to drag the gut and toast the kiddies on the street corner. :rolleyes:
Burn all the hair off the little Old ladies poodle. Maybe just set the coffee hut ablaze. :eek:
Head on back home and burn the house down while Im at it.

Ah yes what we will do for the love of our diesel pickups. :D

Crazy mode Off

Robyn

westport70
05-03-2007, 13:28
does anyone stop to think that this fun black smoke might be the reason we have the low sulpher diesel?

DA BIG ONE
05-03-2007, 14:29
does anyone stop to think that this fun black smoke might be the reason we have the low sulpher diesel?

NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NOT WHEN WE ARE HAVIN SO MUCH FUN.

john8662
05-03-2007, 16:00
To the public (gasser owner only portion) the smoke clouds that some humourous smokey diesel owners make isn't taken lightly.

So, it's possible.

But, more to the point, the densly populated areas (like NYC) need cleaner emissions, for busses, etc.

J

drewkeen
05-03-2007, 19:41
Sounds like another good reason to use LSD as long as I can before ULSD becomes mandatory.

keplinger78
05-04-2007, 03:43
Hello All,

Can you run offroad diesel in a 93? Its a lot cheaper here in WV,I think like 60cents a gallon cheaper;) .It has the red die in it but I don't see the DOT people stoping a 3/4 ton pick-up....:D .I don't think it will work in a newer truck but mine still has the man style pump.Or may-be just 50/50 mix...

Thanks Tom K.

TurboDiverArt
05-04-2007, 08:13
It's because people like hugging trees more than letting me have fun! :) Seriously, they need to work on the problem of traffic. In urban areas, the major problem is that cars are idling too long and doing stop and go driving which produces way more pollution per mile than just cruzing down the highway.

Shikaroka
05-04-2007, 13:01
Not to highjack,

But, keplinger78, what part of WV are you in?

JohnC
05-04-2007, 14:53
For the life of me, I can't imagine how reducing the sulphur could have any effect on the black smoke.

keplinger78: if you start using off road fuel, you may trigger them to start looking at you. Around here thay only look at the people who buy off road fuel (like me). If you get caught, the fine is more than the down payment on a new Duramax... Otherwise, the truck won't care. Bear in mind, once you get the red dye in the system it's near impossible to get rid of.

JeepSJ
05-04-2007, 14:54
I don't see the DOT people stoping a 3/4 ton pick-up....

Yeah, I used to think they only checked the big rigs...then I went through a roadside checkpoint where they were checking ALL diesel powered vehicles. That was just outside of Phoenix.

keplinger78
05-05-2007, 09:04
Not to highjack,

But, keplinger78, what part of WV are you in?

Clarksburg area....

Later Tom K.

Chicago TDP
05-06-2007, 15:05
Yeah, I used to think they only checked the big rigs...then I went through a roadside checkpoint where they were checking ALL diesel powered vehicles. That was just outside of Phoenix.

Yea, I have run the Red Dye Diesel a few times, WAY more smoke and the motor just seems to run better all together.

yea, get ur tanked dipped and then they dip ur wallet, BIG fines if you get caught.

In Chicago, they are running HyBrid transit busses now, when they leave a light at full throttle, NO SMOKE AT ALL!!! But, they cost $525,000 a piece, which is 4 times the cost of a std diesel smoker.

TurboDiverArt
05-10-2007, 04:25
For the life of me, I can't imagine how reducing the sulphur could have any effect on the black smoke.

keplinger78: if you start using off road fuel, you may trigger them to start looking at you. Around here thay only look at the people who buy off road fuel (like me). If you get caught, the fine is more than the down payment on a new Duramax... Otherwise, the truck won't care. Bear in mind, once you get the red dye in the system it's near impossible to get rid of.
I don't know why John. I can definitely tell you that either the ULSD puts out less soot or my injectors are no longer putting out as much fuel. I never had a lot of smoke when I step on it but you use to be able to notice it on a sunny day and I was standing on it while NOT towing. Now, even with the trailer in tow I see nothing. Smells cleaner too once the engine is hot. When cold I don't notice much difference between LSD and ULSD. Can't comment on mileage because we are just switching off winter blend and I haven't had a long highway trip with no traffic.

Art.