PDA

View Full Version : Engine Driven Air Compressor

socaltoolguy
04-28-2007, 18:01
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes anyway. Has anybody out there ever installed or heard of anybody that has installed an engine driven air compressor on their Duramax? We are getting ready to go fulltime RVing and I want to have a way to air the tires on our rig. Our 5er requires 110 psi in the tires and it is hard to find a place to air up our tires. Here at the house no problem but after we sell out I will be at the mercy of shop owners or service stations. I don't want the weight of a portable compressor and also they require 110/220 ac. If the big trucks out there can have an engine compressor why not a light duty truck? I would love to find an after market kit so I am hoping you all can help me find one. Thanks for any replies, Ray.

DmaxMaverick
04-28-2007, 18:45
They are very spendy. $1,000+

We don't full time, but we camp a lot and always need air for one thing or another. Here's a suggestion.

Save a lot money and make it easier. With an inexpensive inverter,(400W) I run a Black & Decker Air Station. It's only good for about 90 PSI, but it's quick, light and small. Another option is a Campbel Hausfield 2 gal. tank/compressor (Walmart). I have a 1000W inverter in my RV, and it will easily run one (friend's), and will put out 150 PSI at a pretty good rate. You said you didn't want the weight of a portable, but the engine driven compressor, tank and hardware will weigh more.

Craig M
04-29-2007, 10:12
If your use is very sportic, then the little 12V compressors that plug into cigarette lighter sockets will work. They are slow, but get the job done, and some go over 125 psi. Very light and relatively inexpensive. As stated above the engine mounted units are very pricey and add much weight.

socaltoolguy
04-29-2007, 12:55
Thanks guys, I've got a cheapo 12 volt unit that is noisy and slow. I was hoping for something like the MDT and HDT trucks have. I was looking at my motor and there is a place on the driver side of the motor that looks like it was meant for a second alternator. I was thinking that maybe another small A/C compressor could be mounted there. I know that many people have used the old York style a/c pumps for air compressors so maybe I could rig up something similar but using one of the ultra small a/c compressors like what's on there now. Any thoughts on this? I have also looked at the Viair units that are twelve volt. They make a nice kit for under $500 complete with tank. Thanks again for your replies.

Ray

DmaxMaverick
04-29-2007, 13:18
The space you found on the driver side of the engine is intended for a second alternator. The 12V dedicated air systems are nice. I have a tankless system for my airbags, and I've used it in a pinch to air tires. It is too slow for anything other than an urgent situation.

When on the road a lot, we have to maximize our resources. We don't have the space and weight capacity to carry everything we need, if they are in their "home use" form.
Once again, I'll make the recommendation for an inverter. A good inverter will not only operate a small air compressor, it will also operate a 1/2" electric impact wrench, among a bunch of other "nice to haves". An impact wrench will sure make that inconvient roadside tire change a lot less inconvient. An onboard air system won't likely be able to handle an impact wrench.

precision37
04-30-2007, 09:53
SCUBA tank and a regulator.

trbankii
04-30-2007, 10:59
Search the web for York A/C Compressors - a number of people have converted the a/c compressor as an underhood air compressor.

beeler
05-01-2007, 15:55
Pick up a mag that caters to the lowed rigs. Truckin is one I think. There will be lots of adds for air suspensions that use electric compressors. They are much faster and more durable than the plug in ones. A buddy has one of these plumbed into a small (2 gal?) tank that works great.

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
05-01-2007, 21:14
I saw one online somewhere called "ExtremFlow" for $400. You could get it in either V belt or serp belt driven.

Heartbeat Hauler
05-20-2007, 16:47
You can check one out here at this website---> www.vmacair.com/index.php?underhood

JP

Heartbeat Hauler
05-21-2007, 09:24
I also saw an underhood compressor in the April edition of Diesel Power Mag. Here is the site address---> http://www.extremeoutback.com/
JP