PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap

gophergunner
04-24-2007, 15:36
so here's the deal.....i have a 1979 chev 3/4 ton 4x4 that has an old tired 350 in it. i'm wondering if a swap to a 6.2 diesel is a worthy investment. i see there are some mods for this type of engine, i just haven't driven one before and i hate to spend a bunch of money and not like it. so any input or advice on this matter is welcome. My 6.2 donor vehicle is a 1991 blazer......

I'm also curious if marine injectors for a 6.5 fit a 6.2, and if they make enough difference in power to be worth buying.....???

thanks

john8662
04-24-2007, 15:41
Welcome!

You'll like the 6.2, it actually has some Low-End Torque as compared to the 350.

If in doubt, can you drive the Blazer?

Perhaps a test-drive of another in your area is in order.

IMHO, the marine injectors aren't going to gain you anything in a 6.2 w/o a turbocharger.

Some fresh rebuilt injectors are recommended though.

The 88-92 6.2's had a little more HP due to the change in cylinder head design.

Someone here on the page recently assisted in installing a 6.2 in this vintage truck and it was said to be a very straight forward conversion, in that motor mounts and things worked perfectly.

J

gophergunner
04-24-2007, 15:43
the guy i'm buying the blazer from rebuilds 6.2 and 6.5 diesels for lots of people. he just wants to get rid of this blazer cause its a junker. just has a real good motor he says. i hope he's not lying, but he said its just a drop in conversion for any gm gas to diesel conversion on the older stuff. plus he is throwing in a 6.5 turbo and serpentine belt system for me.

the blazer is in worse shape than my truck though......

rdurh
04-24-2007, 17:29
I'm in the process of swapping a 6.2L out of a 1984 CUCV Blazer into a full size Jimmy. The Jimmy had a 350 V8 with a TH350 transmission and a NP205 transfer case. I swapped in the entire 6.2L with its TH400 transmission and NP208 tranfer case. The engine bolted right in place of the 350 without a problem. I only had to drill new holes for the transmission cross piece for the TH400 since it sat further back in the frame than the TH350. Only other thing I did was to swap the front clip from one off a 1985 diesel Suburban so I could more easily install the diesel radiator. I didn't get the wiring from the CUCV, so after that I just needed to build a new wiring loom using the wires from the Jimmy and the 1985 diesel Suburban. If you have both vehicles it's a whole lot easier. I've had to piece this one together using Pic N Pull parts from two gasoline powered Blazers and three diesel Chevrolet/GMC pickups & SUVs. A major pain in the rumpus.