PDA

View Full Version : Centered Steering Wheel???

More Power
04-23-2007, 12:40
Those owning a 2001-2006 GM HD, sit in the driver's seat, then look at the steering wheel. Is the steering wheel exactly centered in front of you?

Over the weekend I read a review of the new HD trucks (GMT-900) in the newest Four Wheeler magazine. The writer found that the steering wheel was slightly to the right of center when seated.

So, I checked my 2001 HD. The steering wheel is also a little to the right. I've not noticed it before (in 61,000 miles & 6-1/2 years of ownership). :rolleyes:

Perhaps the driver would be centered if sitting on a bench seat. A bucket may move the driver a little closer to the door....

Jim

Mark Rinker
04-23-2007, 12:56
I am sitting in the Flying J near Rockford, IL and have to agree...but never noticed it before!

jsmiracle
04-24-2007, 14:50
Perhaps the driver would be centered if sitting on a bench seat. A bucket may move the driver a little closer to the door....

Nope. I drove my 2005 2500HD (with bench front seat) home for lunch and from work today..... I noticed the steering wheel seems to be an inch or so off center to the right. Never noticed it before....

Jim M.

Dusty Trails
04-24-2007, 19:58
My '89 Sub's wheel was centered. My '93 Sub's wheel is off-center, as is my '05 Sierra. Don't know what's up with it.

carco
04-28-2007, 17:23
I am sure I learned of the offset steering wheel here, on the diesel page, some forum several years ago. I tried a couple of searches, no luck. bob........

ToddMeister
04-30-2007, 05:25
My 05's steering wheel is also slightly off center to the right. Never really noticed it, though.

Mark Rinker
04-30-2007, 05:30
Maybe we all are a little offcenter ... to the left. :)

More Power
04-30-2007, 09:55
Maybe we all are a little offcenter ... to the left. :)

Or maybe these trucks are for those who lean to the right. :D

Jim

mark45678
04-30-2007, 19:05
I lean a little to the RT on pay day and six days later its back to normal.....

DA BIG ONE
05-01-2007, 04:55
I've read that and GM steering box w/variable steering ratios require that the steering wheel/box be centered for proper function of steering, most important on vehicles w/steering sensor in column...............

Steering box off center tends to wander, I had changed out many steering boxes that may have not been bad at all, just not centered which seems to be the issue w/most wandering problems.....

SoTxPollock
05-02-2007, 11:18
Mine is perfectly centered, always has been. Maybe that has something to do with why I'm still running the original tires after 100,000 miles and counting.
Seems to me if the stearing box is centered properly and the splines on all the stearing gear are put on right and the wheels were straight ahead when it was all hooked up, it all should be straight. When the dealer lubed the stearing shaft I cautioned him that the stearing wheel is straight now and I expect it to be straight when I pick it up or its coming right back. He sat down in the truck and said, your right it's straight and kind of smiled. I didn't realize why he smiled until I read about so many whose weren't straight.

More Power
05-02-2007, 11:25
It's about whether the driver is exactly in line with the center of the steering wheel. My steering wheel is an inch or more to the right of center when I'm sitting squarely in the driver's seat.

Jim

Wow, 100K on the original tires.... That has to be a record.... :)

DmaxMaverick
05-02-2007, 11:26
I think we are talking about two different things here.

The thread topic is in regards to the position of the steering wheel (column) in relation to the seated driver. Not the clocking of the wheel itself. True, variable assist steering is more effective if the sensors are at center when traveling straight. However, the position of the column/wheel in relation to the driver has nothing to do with this.

Mine is also ever-so-slightly off to the right. Never noticed it before. Steering wheel is clocked center when traveling straight, though. I have bucket seats. Nothing I'd be concerned about, just an interesting observation. I wonder how many other vehicles have a similar condition.

jsmiracle
05-02-2007, 11:50
I noticed the steering wheel seems to be an inch or so off center to the right. Never noticed it before....Jim M.

Maybe it's to increase comfort when driving your vehicle with one hand, since most people are right-handed (I am left-handed:cool:).

Jim M.

SoTxPollock
05-07-2007, 11:26
OK, you forced me to go outside sit down in my truck and verify.
Yes the chevy bow tie in the center of the stearing wheel lines up exactly with the buttons on my shirt and which of course is lined up with the center of my chest. Everyone who was in the Army knows what a gig line is and my gig line is straight.
What else would you expect from a guy who's high school football number was 22 and whose build date on his truck was 02/22/02, and whose son was born on 12/22.
Of course its perfect.
On the 110k tire mileage that was last week, today its at 101271. I don't know how long they're gonna last.
Can it be that the centering of the wheel with the bucket seat is adjustable in some way? I know it was on some of the older trucks, but I don't know about the newer models.

JohnC
05-07-2007, 13:34
Mine ('06, bucket seats) is ever so slightly to the right of center. This, I am convinced, is proof positive of the vast right wing conspiracy...

DmaxMaverick
05-07-2007, 16:01
Mine ('06, bucket seats) is ever so slightly to the right of center. This, I am convinced, is proof positive of the vast right wing conspiracy...

My steering wheel is positioned perfectly. It's the seat that's to the left. Wouldn't that make it a left wing conspiracy???

a5150nut
05-07-2007, 18:25
My steering wheel is positioned perfectly. It's the seat that's to the left. Wouldn't that make it a left wing conspiracy???

Made my day. Never a dull moment arround here. Probly why everyone hangs arround for so long.........................:D

JohnC
05-08-2007, 15:22

I guess it depends on whether we are seat centric or wheel centric...

I was thinking, everyone who sits in my truck is forced to lean right. :D

Mountainman
05-08-2007, 17:19
I used to worry about the seat location and then I would worry about the wheel location. I finally just quit! Now I am an Ex-centric!