PDA

View Full Version : 6.5TD Swapped to a 6.2L Can it be done???

sprice
04-23-2007, 11:57
I have a '95 2500 ext cab long bed 6.5L TD Chevy with a cracked block. I was wondering if I could take my '85 6.2L block and bolt all of my 6.5L stuff to it and be able to have a dependable engine??? I worry about the stock 6.2L cam being big enough for a turbo 6.5L (if there's any difference) and I worry about my rotating assembly being under boost. I do understand that banks has the bolt on kit designed for a 6.2L, but I still wonder if there will be any complications I will face!!! I have done machine work and complete rebuilds on the 6.2L engines, but this is my first experience with a 6.5L. I purchased new heads for the 6.5 and new injectors, along with a freshly calibrated injector pump that will go on the 6.2 block. So everything should bolt on and work perfect right??? Any insight on my project would be greatly appreciated.

john8662
04-23-2007, 13:17
except that....

The 6.2 will work, there are a few differences though.

You'll get to remove the front timing cover and install the crank sprocket from the '95 engine, it has a reluctor wheel for the injection system.

The 6.2 doesn't (being an '85) have a port on the front of the engine to feed the turbo with oil.

You will need to have a pressure line made that takes oil pressure from the rear of the engine above where the oil filter is.

Since you're using 6.5 heads, then engine will be even more like a 6.5, which will help you in the long-run.

Besides these details, it'll work.

J

joem
04-23-2007, 14:13
I just put the 1981 short block in mine worked fine easy swap 1 weekend it was up and going. Like john8662 this is it but if you use the oil adapter drill it out larger.
Joe

ronniejoe
04-25-2007, 05:22
The 6.2 and 6.5 use the same P/N camshaft.